Web Form

Craig Pearson

How can I close a web form from code-behind code, insteal of client script
i.e javascript:window.close();

craig

Craig Pearson

Hi Kevin

I have a server side button which needs to execute some code on the server,
then close the browser. Are you suggesting in the Page_Load, or prehaps the
button event (button_OnClick) I incorporate something like:

private void Page_Load(object sender, EventHandler e) {
if(IsPostback) {
// do server stuff, like clean out the session
// Session["var']=null;

Page.RegisterStartupScriptBlock("startup", "<script> window.close();
</script>");

I was attempting to do some sort of client script callback, whereby the
server script could call some client script, that way I could keep the
window.close() script 'pre-rendered' on the client. If you have a sample, I
would greatly appreciate it.

Craig

Kevin Spencer

What you just posted is fine. Since, as you say, you want to execute some
server-side processing, you would then add the script to the page so that it
closes when loaded into the browser.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of little things.

Craig Pearson said:
Hi Kevin

I have a server side button which needs to execute some code on the server,
then close the browser. Are you suggesting in the Page_Load, or prehaps the
button event (button_OnClick) I incorporate something like:

private void Page_Load(object sender, EventHandler e) {
if(IsPostback) {
// do server stuff, like clean out the session
// Session["var']=null;

Page.RegisterStartupScriptBlock("startup", "<script> window.close();
</script>");

I was attempting to do some sort of client script callback, whereby the
server script could call some client script, that way I could keep the
window.close() script 'pre-rendered' on the client. If you have a sample, I
would greatly appreciate it.

Craig

Kevin Spencer said:
You can't. You're not trying to close a WebForm; you're trying to close the
browser. The browser is on the client. All ASP.Net sends to the browser is
an HTTP response with HTML in it. You need to add a Startup JavaScript to
the page during PostBack that closes the browser window on the client side.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP