Web Forms VS Windows Forms

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brendan Miller, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. What can a windows form do that a web form cannot?

    Brendan Miller, Aug 11, 2003

  2. You can do pretty much anything from either one if you try hard enough.
    But some things are easier to do with one than the other.
    For instance, HTML is great for creating snappy looking UI designs. Of
    course you can create great looking WinForms apps also, but it would likely
    take you more effort.

    Winforms tend to have richer functionality close at hand. For instance you
    can keep a constant connection alive between your users and your database
    (or other application components.) ASP.NET is stateless and that can make
    passing data around more challenging.

    WebForms require only a basic web browser on the client's machine, which
    eases deployment and future upgrades. (WinForms require your application
    and .NET framework to be installed on each user's computer.)

    With WinForms you can have your entire app on one machine if you so choose,
    with no network connection needed (depending on the nature of your app of
    course.)

    The look and behavior of your WebForm apps can vary depending on the web
    browser(s) your clients are using. WinForm apps are not usually dependent
    on web browsers to they tend to behave more consistently.

    WinForm apps can interact with the user's computer more deeply. WebForm
    apps have security limitations that prevent them (by default) from accessing
    the user's registry, modifying files on their hard drive, and other such low
    level tasks.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, Aug 11, 2003

  3. I've never seen a paper airplane that you could load an F-14B TomCat into.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP