    database myself without hardcoding the table structure in my scripts (I'll
    be doing some ASP.NET)?

    Thank you.
    John, Apr 4, 2005

  2. John

    David Gugick Guest

    John wrote:
    > Do you guys have any idea if web hosting companies usually give
    > access to SQL Server databases through Enterprise Manager?
    > I used to have have access to my DB through EE with my previous
    > provider and now the more I am looking into offers on the net the
    > less I can see this feature specified.
    >
    > What can I do without EE to backup my database in a completely
    > automated way? Can I assume SQLDMO will always be available so that I
    > can backup the database myself without hardcoding the table structure
    > in my scripts (I'll be doing some ASP.NET)?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Depends entirely on your hosting plan. To be honest, it's probably
    better you don't have SQL EM access because that would mean the hosting
    company has exposed SQL Server to the internet. And that might be
    considered a security problem. Most low-fee hosting plans (read: shared
    hosting) do not give users the ability to back up databases if it's
    hidden behind the web server. They usually provide rudimentary means to
    access the server, but backups are performed by the hosting company
    daily, weekly, monthly, or never.

    In any case, you probably won't have SQL EM access. More likely you'll
    use the Web Data Administrator. I've not seen a hosting company that
    provides the SQL Server Client Tools as an local installation option,
    but they may exist.

    The question you raise is a concern. Depending on what you're doing with
    SQL Server, you may be able to keep a local SQL Server copy and update
    the web SQL Server when needed. If updates occur on the web site's SQL
    Server, you need to check with your hosting company to see the options
    you have for backup.

    --
    David Gugick
    Imceda Software
    David Gugick, Apr 4, 2005

  3. John

    Scott Allen Guest

    I'm not sure if hosters generally grant access - but I know at least a
    few that do. SQLDMO might also be a problem if the hosting company
    gives your applications less than full trust.

    You can do all this stuff (including backups) with T-SQL.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Apr 4, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    "Scott Allen" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure if hosters generally grant access - but I know at least a
    > few that do. SQLDMO might also be a problem if the hosting company
    > gives your applications less than full trust.
    >
    > You can do all this stuff (including backups) with T-SQL.

    What are my options exactly to create and drop tables programmatically
    really?

    1) SQLDMO. As you say, maybe it's disabled by default.
    2) Creating a stored procedure with CREATE TABLE and DROP TABLE statements.
    Is it what you mean and do you think my provider is likely to have this
    feature disabled?
    John, Apr 5, 2005
  5. John

    John Guest

    "David Gugick" <> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    >> Do you guys have any idea if web hosting companies usually give
    >> access to SQL Server databases through Enterprise Manager?
    >> I used to have have access to my DB through EE with my previous
    >> provider and now the more I am looking into offers on the net the
    >> less I can see this feature specified.
    >>
    >> What can I do without EE to backup my database in a completely
    >> automated way? Can I assume SQLDMO will always be available so that I
    >> can backup the database myself without hardcoding the table structure
    >> in my scripts (I'll be doing some ASP.NET)?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Depends entirely on your hosting plan. To be honest, it's probably better
    > you don't have SQL EM access because that would mean the hosting company
    > has exposed SQL Server to the internet. And that might be considered a
    > security problem. Most low-fee hosting plans (read: shared hosting) do not
    > give users the ability to back up databases if it's hidden behind the web
    > server. They usually provide rudimentary means to access the server, but
    > backups are performed by the hosting company daily, weekly, monthly, or
    > never.
    >
    > In any case, you probably won't have SQL EM access. More likely you'll use
    > the Web Data Administrator. I've not seen a hosting company that provides
    > the SQL Server Client Tools as an local installation option, but they may
    > exist.
    >
    > The question you raise is a concern. Depending on what you're doing with
    > SQL Server, you may be able to keep a local SQL Server copy and update the
    > web SQL Server when needed. If updates occur on the web site's SQL Server,
    > you need to check with your hosting company to see the options you have
    > for backup.

    Well I will work locally mostly. Create, drop and alter my tables probably
    quite often, at least in the first months of the development.
    If I have got to reflect manually the changes through the web interface of
    the provider, that will be no good...
    With Enterprise Manager, I would just backup my local database in a file.
    Then connect to the remote server, drop the database and restore it from the
    backup file.

    I probably can live without EE, but only if I have a way to programmatically
    create or drop database tables. I guess I'll have to ask the different
    providers what my options are.
    John, Apr 5, 2005
  6. John

    jasonkester Guest

    John wrote:
    > CREATE TABLE and DROP TABLE statements.

    Realistically, you should be keeping change scripts for all your DB
    changes. Enterprise Manager will generate them for you if you'd like.
    It makes life so much easier when it comes to deploying your
    applications. Just run all the scripts since the last push, and you're
    done.

    > Is it what you mean and do you think my provider is likely to have

    this
    > feature disabled?

    I would be surprised if your hosting provider gave you an SQL server
    account that did not have CREATE and DROP priviledges.

    Jason Kester
    Expat Software Consulting Services
    http://www.expatsoftware.com/
    jasonkester, Apr 5, 2005
  7. John

    Devmaster Guest

    If you are serious about a service provider that will provide EE access I
    know one but I am not going to broadcast it here. Send an email to

    Devmaster, Apr 5, 2005
  8. John

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi John:

    You can always pump scripts into SQL Server using SqlConnection and
    ExecuteNonQuery with SqlCommand from the .NET framework.

    Generally, you'll be database owner (dbo) in your hosted database and
    will be able to execute any of the DDL you need.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Apr 5, 2005