    Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service in the US. It will be used
    for a personal web site.

    Thanks

    Larry Sams, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Larry Sams

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Larry Sams wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service in the US. It will be used
    > for a personal web site.
    >
    > Thanks

    www.affordablehost.com or www.easycgi.com. Lots of people use the first,
    and it has a great reputation. I use the latter (for my own sites and
    client sites) and they have been great. Prices from about $5 a month for
    an all signing all dancing platform.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Larry Sams

    SpaceGirl Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > Larry Sams wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service in the US. It will be
    >> used for a personal web site.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > www.affordablehost.com or www.easycgi.com. Lots of people use the first,
    > and it has a great reputation. I use the latter (for my own sites and
    > client sites) and they have been great. Prices from about $5 a month for
    > an all signing all dancing platform.

    singing, even. :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Larry Sams

    Philip Ronan Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > www.affordablehost.com or www.easycgi.com. ... Prices from about $5 a month

    That sounds like quite a lot.

    34sp.com is less than half the price. Admittedly their servers are situated
    in the UK, but this shouldn't be a problem for a personal website. They
    accept payment in $.

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Nov 23, 2004
  5. "Larry Sams" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service in the US. It will be used
    > for a personal web site.

    We have free hosting, which works well for alot of personal homepages. We
    also have feature-rich packages starting at $35 per year.

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Managed, Dedicated and Colo Servers
    http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting Accounts

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Nov 23, 2004
  6. Larry Sams

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Philip Ronan wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >

    >>www.affordablehost.com or www.easycgi.com. ... Prices from about $5 a month

    > That sounds like quite a lot.
    >
    > 34sp.com is less than half the price. Admittedly their servers are situated
    > in the UK, but this shouldn't be a problem for a personal website. They
    > accept payment in $.

    Hmm. Seems too low to me. Plus, even their top package only offers 175mb
    of space, verses over 1000mb for a the most basic package at easyCGI.
    4gb transfer per month is pretty bad too... easyCGI offers 150gb over a
    month. It doesn't take many MP3s shared to breach 1gb :) 34sp.com also
    charge FOUR TIMES the going rate for domain names... I wonder what other
    hidden charges they have?

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Larry Sams

    Philip Ronan Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Hmm. Seems too low to me. Plus, even their top package only offers 175mb
    > of space, verses over 1000mb for a the most basic package at easyCGI.
    > 4gb transfer per month is pretty bad too... easyCGI offers 150gb over a
    > month. It doesn't take many MP3s shared to breach 1gb :)

    Well you get what you pay for I suppose. My idea of a "personal website"
    didn't include serving up thousands of mp3's every day :)

    > 34sp.com also
    > charge FOUR TIMES the going rate for domain names

    Really? My .co.uk domain is only £2.50 per year. Maybe they charge more for
    dotcoms. Or maybe the others charge less to customers that buy hosting
    packages. I don't know, basically. Anyhow, they won't stop you paying for
    the domain elsewhere. And besides, the OP was asking about hosting, not
    registration.

    > ... I wonder what other
    > hidden charges they have?

    I don't think they're hiding much, but you could always ask:
    <http://www.forums.34sp.com/>

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Nov 23, 2004
  8. Larry Sams

    Joshua Stine Guest

    try utango.com, I pay $3.95 per month.

    Joshua Stine, Nov 23, 2004
  9. Larry Sams

    Joshua Stine Guest

    by the way, I use this for my business site, www.thednagroup.com and I
    have never experienced any downtime.

    Joshua Stine, Nov 23, 2004
  10. Joshua Stine wrote:
    > by the way, I use this for my business site, www.thednagroup.com and I
    > have never experienced any downtime.

    Surely you have experienced some downtime, otherwise I would demand that
    they secure their machines correctly! Do they not reboot after upgrading
    the kernel or applying patches? :)

    -----
    Peter
    nativespace
    web hosting - domain names - design
    http://www.nativespace.com

    Peter - nativespace hosting, Nov 25, 2004
  11. Larry Sams wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service in the US. It will be used
    > for a personal web site.
    >
    > Thanks

    www.oneandone.co.uk

    they have US servers I think. I've used them for 3 years and never had
    one single problem, that wasn't my own fault.

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Nov 27, 2004