Web Hosting in US

Larry Sams

Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service in the US. It will be used
for a personal web site.

Thanks

SpaceGirl

Larry said:
Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service in the US. It will be used
for a personal web site.

Thanks

www.affordablehost.com or www.easycgi.com. Lots of people use the first,
and it has a great reputation. I use the latter (for my own sites and
client sites) and they have been great. Prices from about $5 a month for
an all signing all dancing platform.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Larry Sams said:
Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service in the US. It will be used
for a personal web site.

We have free hosting, which works well for alot of personal homepages. We
also have feature-rich packages starting at $35 per year.

--Tina

SpaceGirl

Philip said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

That sounds like quite a lot.

34sp.com is less than half the price. Admittedly their servers are situated
in the UK, but this shouldn't be a problem for a personal website. They
accept payment in $.

Hmm. Seems too low to me. Plus, even their top package only offers 175mb
of space, verses over 1000mb for a the most basic package at easyCGI.
4gb transfer per month is pretty bad too... easyCGI offers 150gb over a
month. It doesn't take many MP3s shared to breach 1gb :) 34sp.com also
charge FOUR TIMES the going rate for domain names... I wonder what other
hidden charges they have?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Philip Ronan

SpaceGirl said:
Hmm. Seems too low to me. Plus, even their top package only offers 175mb
of space, verses over 1000mb for a the most basic package at easyCGI.
4gb transfer per month is pretty bad too... easyCGI offers 150gb over a
month. It doesn't take many MP3s shared to breach 1gb :)

Well you get what you pay for I suppose. My idea of a "personal website"
didn't include serving up thousands of mp3's every day :)
34sp.com also
charge FOUR TIMES the going rate for domain names

Really? My .co.uk domain is only £2.50 per year. Maybe they charge more for
dotcoms. Or maybe the others charge less to customers that buy hosting
packages. I don't know, basically. Anyhow, they won't stop you paying for
the domain elsewhere. And besides, the OP was asking about hosting, not
registration.
... I wonder what other
hidden charges they have?

I don't think they're hiding much, but you could always ask:
<http://www.forums.34sp.com/>

Peter - nativespace hosting

Joshua said:
by the way, I use this for my business site, www.thednagroup.com and I
have never experienced any downtime.

Surely you have experienced some downtime, otherwise I would demand that
they secure their machines correctly! Do they not reboot after upgrading
the kernel or applying patches? :)

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Larry said:
Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service in the US. It will be used
for a personal web site.

Thanks

www.oneandone.co.uk

they have US servers I think. I've used them for 3 years and never had
one single problem, that wasn't my own fault.