    when I start typing 112, it automatically filters to all files with 112

    in the beginning of the filename.

    Anyone know of something like this off-hand?
    SW Monkey, May 18, 2006

  2. SW Monkey wrote:
    > Something would be nice like this, say i have a file called 11234.pdf,
    > when I start typing 112, it automatically filters to all files with 112
    > in the beginning of the filename.
    > Anyone know of something like this off-hand?

    Flash
    Travis Newbury, May 18, 2006

  3. SW Monkey

    Andy Dingley Guest

    SW Monkey wrote:
    > Is there a web interface that I could setup to view out 8,000 PDF
    > files? I dont need to search for anything internally in the PDF, just
    > by the filename.

    Sounds like a perfect job for AJAX and a small amount of server-side
    scripting. It's about the right level of complexity for a learning
    exercise.

    You can't do it purely in Flash, you're still going to need the
    server-side code that returns partial directory sets.

    Next question is what you're hosting it on, and what scripting language
    your web server offers. PHP, most likely.
    Andy Dingley, May 18, 2006
  4. Re: Web interface to view 8,000 PDF files? Only need to search byfilename.

    Andy Dingley <> wrote:
    > SW Monkey wrote:
    >> Is there a web interface that I could setup to view out 8,000 PDF
    >> files? I dont need to search for anything internally in the PDF, just
    >> by the filename.

    > Sounds like a perfect job for AJAX and a small amount of server-side
    > scripting. It's about the right level of complexity for a learning
    > exercise.
    >
    > You can't do it purely in Flash, you're still going to need the
    > server-side code that returns partial directory sets.
    >
    > Next question is what you're hosting it on, and what scripting language
    > your web server offers. PHP, most likely.

    I agree. AJAX would do this very well, and you could easily fall-back
    to simple form/submit for browsers that don't agree with your AJAX code.

    --
    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, May 18, 2006