web links

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Sherm Pendley, Apr 23, 2006.

  1. Jon <> writes:

    > Often I am finding that I wanting to pull down parts of frequently
    > visited web site in an automatic manner

    Have a look at WWW::Mechanize on CPAN. <http://cpan.org>

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Sherm Pendley

    Jon Guest

    Hi there,

    Often I am finding that I wanting to pull down parts of frequently
    visited web site in an automatic manner
    so that I can peruse them at my leisure and not worry about
    lag/etc.. In the past I have used wget to do so but find that, at
    times, there are limitations with the program. In particular resuming
    wget doesn't remember where it last got up to and so it recycles
    through what it has already pulled down. There are some other
    annoyances as well. If someone knows of utilities better than wget
    please let me know. However since I don't I'm trying to develop a perl
    script that wraps around wget. My current issue is that wget only
    fixes up web links when it has finished fully downloading the web
    pages. Is there any perl library (or utility) that can be used to
    go through and extract out all the links, see what has been downloaded
    and modify the corresponding links to what they are. Thanks.

    Jon.

    Jon, Apr 23, 2006

  3. Sherm Pendley

    robic0 Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:13:41 GMT, "Bill Segraves" <> wrote:

    >"Jon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Often I am finding that I wanting to pull down parts of frequently
    >> visited web site in an automatic manner
    >> so that I can peruse them at my leisure and not worry about
    >> lag/etc..

    ><snip>
    >> Is there any perl library (or utility) that can be used to
    >> go through and extract out all the links, see what has been downloaded
    >> and modify the corresponding links to what they are. Thanks.

    >See _Learning Perl_, 2nd edition, Chapter 19, "Web Automation with LWP" pp.
    >207-208, for a program that prints out a sorted list of unique links ...
    >contained in URLs passed as command-line arguments. If you don't have the
    >book, you should be able to find the listing among the examples at the
    >publisher's web site.

    See: 'Your fuckin crazy, do it yourself', 2nd edition...

    robic0, Apr 24, 2006
  4. Sherm Pendley

    robic0 Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:13:41 GMT, "Bill Segraves" <> wrote:

    >"Jon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Often I am finding that I wanting to pull down parts of frequently
    >> visited web site in an automatic manner
    >> so that I can peruse them at my leisure and not worry about
    >> lag/etc..

    ><snip>
    >> Is there any perl library (or utility) that can be used to
    >> go through and extract out all the links, see what has been downloaded
    >> and modify the corresponding links to what they are. Thanks.

    >See _Learning Perl_, 2nd edition, Chapter 19, "Web Automation with LWP" pp.
    >207-208, for a program that prints out a sorted list of unique links ...
    >contained in URLs passed as command-line arguments. If you don't have the
    >book, you should be able to find the listing among the examples at the
    >publisher's web site.

    So let me get this straight. Your suggestion is to buy a book with code in
    it, instead of asking all the alligators on this forum for a solution.

    Use 'Fleete Enima' to clean you bowels out .........
    (advice, free of charge.. and you don't need to buy a book)

    robic0, Apr 24, 2006