Web Matrix and Visual Web 2005 Questions

Brian

Hello,

In Web Matrix, I am able to work on a single ASPX file and double click on a
control and it will take me to the subroutine so I can code the button.

In Visual Web Developer, if I do the same (single ASPX file, double click on
a control) it takes me to the HTML code and not the VB code.

Why is this?

Thanks,
Brian

tdavisjr

Webmatrix did the same thing Visual Web Developer is doing, however,
they just hid the HTML from you. They had like 3 views, HTML View,
Code View, All View. When you double clicked on the button it took you
to Code View so you only saw VB code, howver, the code was still
embedded in the aspx page. You can see that if you select All View.

You can do Codebehind in VWD, however you have to select the option to
place code in a seperate file when you go to add a page to your website.

Brian

tdavisjr said:
Webmatrix did the same thing Visual Web Developer is doing, however,
they just hid the HTML from you. They had like 3 views, HTML View,
Code View, All View. When you double clicked on the button it took you
to Code View so you only saw VB code, howver, the code was still
embedded in the aspx page. You can see that if you select All View.

You can do Codebehind in VWD, however you have to select the option to
place code in a seperate file when you go to add a page to your website.

Thanks..I will try this. I just find it a little easier when it creates the
SIGNATURE line automatically. This doesn't happen in single file ASPX files
in VWD. At least I can't get it to with the advice you mentioned.

This is just so silly..I am a newbie to VWD, so I hope my questions aren't
as silly.

Brian

I have..haven't found the answer yet. The main way to fix this is to open a
SITE.

I was just used to working with single ASPX files in Web Matrix, double
clicking on the control and it fills out the signature line for you and then
I code away. Just not sure why VWD wont do this for me in single ASPX files.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
not sure why VWD wont do this for me in single ASPX files

You have to be in design mode for this to work.

The integrated VWD in VS.NET works the same way you describe.
It would be baffling if it didn't work the same way in the stand-alone version.

Brian

I am in design mode. I add a control in a single ASPX file, double click on
it and it takes me to the HTML and doesn't create the event handler for,
say, Button1_Click.

Brian

Glad I am not crazy. Some have told me this wont happen when in a single
ASPX file and that I have to open a "web site" and then work on the ASPX
file.

Any other suggestions?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I have to open a "web site" and then work on the ASPX file.

So, is what you're saying that the problem only occurs
when you open a "miscellaneous" file not inside a solution,
but that if you open an aspx file within a solution, it works OK ?

Brian

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:

So, is what you're saying that the problem only occurs
when you open a "miscellaneous" file not inside a solution,
but that if you open an aspx file within a solution, it works OK ?

Yes...if I go up and choose new FILE and then choose NEW FILE (without being
in a web site or solution) and then when I go to add a control to that file,
double click on it, it goes to the HTML code and NOT the event handler
(signature line) of that control. This only happens on a single ASPX file
and not one within an solution. This is what is confusing me compared with
Web Matrix, where you can open single files, double click and go to event
handler.

Juan T. Llibre

Not much I can say to that.

If you want to bug it at the MSDN Product Feedback Center,
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/ (you'll need a Passport acct)
maybe something can be done about it, although I doubt it.

To work around it, you could create
a solution to hold all your miscellaneous files.

That way, all your miscellaneous files would be inside a
solution and they would work the way you want them to.