Web monitoring tool

FrolicFrog

Hi,

I'm looking for a Java or Windows tool that I can run permanently on my PC and would perform some monitoring of my web sites hosted
by different hosters. I'd like to get uptime, response time, ...

An idea ?
Of course, free is better... ;-)

Thanks in advance for your valuable help.

zero

Hi,

I'm looking for a Java or Windows tool that I can run permanently on
my PC and would perform some monitoring of my web sites hosted by
different hosters. I'd like to get uptime, response time, ...

An idea ?
Of course, free is better... ;-)

Thanks in advance for your valuable help.

Sounds like you need a program that just sends a ping at regular intervals
and analyses the results. Since it has to run continuously I would suggest
a native windows application, not a Java program - although in Java it's
easier to use TCP/IP than in most languages that produce native
executables.

Some remarks:
- some servers disable ping for security reasons
- sending too many ping requests in too short a timeframe may be seen as a
hacker attack. This could have all kinds of results ranging from nothing,
over affecting server performance, to being banned.
- you can only check the uptime for as long as your own computer is running
and connected to the internet. You can't know how long the server has been
running before you started checking - unless of course the server
implements a mechanism that tells you the uptime itself (several servers
have this option, though it's often disabled)

For all these reasons my first advice would be: don't bother.

If you still want something, I think your best bet is to check shareware
and freeware sites. I'm sure someone must've created something like this
already.

Zero

FrolicFrog

[...]

Thanks Zero but I do not want just a ping. I'd like to find a software capable of sending a http request and analyzing the answer
(if there is an answer). If it doesn't receive an answer, it must consider that the site is not responding correctly. If it receive
an answer, it must at least check that the resulting page "seems" correct.

Thanks.
Frolicfrog.

Roedy Green

Thanks Zero but I do not want just a ping. I'd like to find a software capable of sending a http request and analyzing the answer
(if there is an answer). If it doesn't receive an answer, it must consider that the site is not responding correctly. If it receive
an answer, it must at least check that the resulting page "seems" correct.

If you have co-operation of the server, you can agree on some short
simple message. The problem with solving the problem is general is
the text of any webpage could change, including what it would give
for an error. Perhaps you just have to stay on top, and be ready to
adjust the programming whenever a site supposedly goes down, deciding
manually if a novel response means up or down.

In Java you simulate browser functions with URLConnection. See
http://mindprod.com/applets/fileio.html

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cgi.html

FrolicFrog

If you have co-operation of the server, you can agree on some short
simple message. The problem with solving the problem is general is
the text of any webpage could change, including what it would give
for an error. Perhaps you just have to stay on top, and be ready to
adjust the programming whenever a site supposedly goes down, deciding
manually if a novel response means up or down.

Because I wrote the web site, I included in comments some texts I can check. If I don't find them in the answer, something went
wrong...
I do not have to have an agreement with the hoster because I only perform a few tests per day (1 request per hour for instance) and
my requests will be exactly the same as a normal end-user.

Frolicfrog.