    An idea ?
    Of course, free is better... ;-)

    Thanks in advance for your valuable help.

    FrolicFrog, Sep 24, 2005

  2. FrolicFrog

    zero Guest

    "FrolicFrog" <> wrote in
    news:43354b4c$0$21216$:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a Java or Windows tool that I can run permanently on
    > my PC and would perform some monitoring of my web sites hosted by
    > different hosters. I'd like to get uptime, response time, ...
    >
    > An idea ?
    > Of course, free is better... ;-)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your valuable help.

    Sounds like you need a program that just sends a ping at regular intervals
    and analyses the results. Since it has to run continuously I would suggest
    a native windows application, not a Java program - although in Java it's
    easier to use TCP/IP than in most languages that produce native
    executables.

    Some remarks:
    - some servers disable ping for security reasons
    - sending too many ping requests in too short a timeframe may be seen as a
    hacker attack. This could have all kinds of results ranging from nothing,
    over affecting server performance, to being banned.
    - you can only check the uptime for as long as your own computer is running
    and connected to the internet. You can't know how long the server has been
    running before you started checking - unless of course the server
    implements a mechanism that tells you the uptime itself (several servers
    have this option, though it's often disabled)

    For all these reasons my first advice would be: don't bother.

    If you still want something, I think your best bet is to check shareware
    and freeware sites. I'm sure someone must've created something like this
    already.

    Zero

    zero, Sep 24, 2005

  3. FrolicFrog

    FrolicFrog Guest

    > Sounds like you need a program that just sends a ping at regular intervals
    > and analyses the results. Since it has to run continuously I would suggest
    > a native windows application, not a Java program - although in Java it's
    > easier to use TCP/IP than in most languages that produce native
    > executables.
    >
    > Some remarks:
    > - some servers disable ping for security reasons
    > - sending too many ping requests in too short a timeframe may be seen as a
    > hacker attack. This could have all kinds of results ranging from nothing,
    > over affecting server performance, to being banned.
    > - you can only check the uptime for as long as your own computer is running
    > and connected to the internet. You can't know how long the server has been
    > running before you started checking - unless of course the server
    > implements a mechanism that tells you the uptime itself (several servers
    > have this option, though it's often disabled)
    >
    > For all these reasons my first advice would be: don't bother.
    >
    > If you still want something, I think your best bet is to check shareware
    > and freeware sites. I'm sure someone must've created something like this
    > already.
    >
    > Zero

    Thanks Zero but I do not want just a ping. I'd like to find a software capable of sending a http request and analyzing the answer
    (if there is an answer). If it doesn't receive an answer, it must consider that the site is not responding correctly. If it receive
    an answer, it must at least check that the resulting page "seems" correct.

    Thanks.
    Frolicfrog.

    FrolicFrog, Sep 24, 2005
  4. FrolicFrog

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:43:28 +0200, "FrolicFrog"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Thanks Zero but I do not want just a ping. I'd like to find a software capable of sending a http request and analyzing the answer
    >(if there is an answer). If it doesn't receive an answer, it must consider that the site is not responding correctly. If it receive
    >an answer, it must at least check that the resulting page "seems" correct.

    If you have co-operation of the server, you can agree on some short
    simple message. The problem with solving the problem is general is
    the text of any webpage could change, including what it would give
    for an error. Perhaps you just have to stay on top, and be ready to
    adjust the programming whenever a site supposedly goes down, deciding
    manually if a novel response means up or down.

    In Java you simulate browser functions with URLConnection. See
    http://mindprod.com/applets/fileio.html

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cgi.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Sep 25, 2005
  5. FrolicFrog

    Ben_ Guest

    Ben_, Sep 25, 2005
  6. FrolicFrog

    FrolicFrog Guest

    > If you have co-operation of the server, you can agree on some short
    > simple message. The problem with solving the problem is general is
    > the text of any webpage could change, including what it would give
    > for an error. Perhaps you just have to stay on top, and be ready to
    > adjust the programming whenever a site supposedly goes down, deciding
    > manually if a novel response means up or down.

    Because I wrote the web site, I included in comments some texts I can check. If I don't find them in the answer, something went
    wrong...
    I do not have to have an agreement with the hoster because I only perform a few tests per day (1 request per hour for instance) and
    my requests will be exactly the same as a normal end-user.

    Frolicfrog.

    FrolicFrog, Sep 25, 2005
  7. FrolicFrog

    FrolicFrog Guest

    "Ben_" <> a écrit dans le message de news: 4336563a$0$1814$...
    > Something like this ?
    >
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/servercheckstd.html
    >
    > (see also the other network monitoring tools there)

    I just tested it. Excellent !
    Many thanks.

    Frolicfrog.

    FrolicFrog, Sep 25, 2005