web page re-direct if page/server is up

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mavrick, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Mavrick

    Mavrick Guest

    Ok here go's

    Main holiday web page is sitting on freeserve, also have hosted IIS
    server on fixed IP and fixed dns in my office running for other non
    business critical pages as it can be down sometimes due to re-boots
    slow bandwidth and power loss etc etc.

    On the web page I have a list of available dates but is a static web
    page, I have dynamic web views created for back office staff that are
    dynamically created from within VB. When dates and bookings change I
    hit a button and it creates these pages and served from my web server.
    I can get it to create something that can look like the static page but
    cant post it to freeserve as I have to be on dial up to freeserve.

    What I'd like to do is still have the static page but if my web server
    is up and the page is available then re-direct it to this page, if not
    send the static one to them.
    One big issue is cant run ASP etc code on freeserve so need to do it in
    JavaScript, any ideas

    Expect the solution to be either in the page that sends to list of
    available dates ie

    on click
    if my server is up
    send to my web serve dates.html
    else
    send to static freeserve
    endif

    or something within the static html

    on load
    if my server is up
    re-direct to my web server dates,html
    else
    Carry on here
    endif

    1 line of thought is catch on error ie. on page that will send to dates
    page have a dummy.gif that sits on my server if it cant load dummy.gif
    change to <a>.location static else change to dynamic url

    not sure if this is a good idea and if it will even work, could do with
    some help on code or an example
    Mavrick, Jan 8, 2006