web page re-direct if page/server is up

Mavrick

Ok here go's

Main holiday web page is sitting on freeserve, also have hosted IIS
server on fixed IP and fixed dns in my office running for other non
business critical pages as it can be down sometimes due to re-boots
slow bandwidth and power loss etc etc.

On the web page I have a list of available dates but is a static web
page, I have dynamic web views created for back office staff that are
dynamically created from within VB. When dates and bookings change I
hit a button and it creates these pages and served from my web server.
I can get it to create something that can look like the static page but
cant post it to freeserve as I have to be on dial up to freeserve.

What I'd like to do is still have the static page but if my web server
is up and the page is available then re-direct it to this page, if not
send the static one to them.
One big issue is cant run ASP etc code on freeserve so need to do it in
JavaScript, any ideas

Expect the solution to be either in the page that sends to list of
available dates ie

on click
if my server is up
send to my web serve dates.html
else
send to static freeserve
endif

or something within the static html

on load
if my server is up
re-direct to my web server dates,html
else
Carry on here
endif

1 line of thought is catch on error ie. on page that will send to dates
page have a dummy.gif that sits on my server if it cant load dummy.gif
change to <a>.location static else change to dynamic url

not sure if this is a good idea and if it will even work, could do with
some help on code or an example