Web page tester - an idea?

JWS

After my experience with putting up an applet which looked
differently in Linux, Windows, and on the Mac (and also after the
discussion about default line-height, different in Linux), I
thought: would it be possible for somebody to create a service for
Web designers in which you could enter the URL of a page, then
select the desired OS and/or browser, perhaps other parameters
like screen size, Java version, etc., and have it send back a
screenshot of how it is rendered on the selected system? Would
such a service be useful? Does it already exist, perhaps?

Regards, Jan

Harlan Messinger

JWS said:
After my experience with putting up an applet which looked
differently in Linux, Windows, and on the Mac (and also after the
discussion about default line-height, different in Linux), I
thought: would it be possible for somebody to create a service for
Web designers in which you could enter the URL of a page, then
select the desired OS and/or browser, perhaps other parameters
like screen size, Java version, etc., and have it send back a
screenshot of how it is rendered on the selected system? Would
such a service be useful? Does it already exist, perhaps?

www.browsershots.org.

JWS

Harlan said:

This is 'cool' .. just about like I thought it should have to be.
It does not work terribly well yet:

-- it is a bit on the slow side, with a response time of 30
minutes.
-- in my test the applet was invisible (although I had selected
'Java enabled').
-- it does not know about MATHML.

But I expect it will improve. I am glad it exists.

Regards, Jan

Harlan Messinger

JWS said:
This is 'cool' .. just about like I thought it should have to be.
It does not work terribly well yet:

-- it is a bit on the slow side, with a response time of 30
minutes.

Well, it's rather popular and it's processor- and network-intensive!