    screenshot of how it is rendered on the selected system? Would
    such a service be useful? Does it already exist, perhaps?

    Regards, Jan
    JWS, Nov 5, 2007

    www.browsershots.org.
    Harlan Messinger, Nov 5, 2007

  3. JWS

    JWS Guest

    Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > JWS wrote:
    >> After my experience with putting up an applet which looked
    >> differently in Linux, Windows, and on the Mac (and also after the
    >> discussion about default line-height, different in Linux), I
    >> thought: would it be possible for somebody to create a service for
    >> Web designers in which you could enter the URL of a page, then
    >> select the desired OS and/or browser, perhaps other parameters
    >> like screen size, Java version, etc., and have it send back a
    >> screenshot of how it is rendered on the selected system? Would
    >> such a service be useful? Does it already exist, perhaps?

    > www.browsershots.org.

    This is 'cool' .. just about like I thought it should have to be.
    It does not work terribly well yet:

    -- it is a bit on the slow side, with a response time of 30
    minutes.
    -- in my test the applet was invisible (although I had selected
    'Java enabled').
    -- it does not know about MATHML.

    But I expect it will improve. I am glad it exists.

    Regards, Jan
    JWS, Nov 5, 2007
  4. JWS wrote:
    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >> JWS wrote:
    >>> After my experience with putting up an applet which looked
    >>> differently in Linux, Windows, and on the Mac (and also after the
    >>> discussion about default line-height, different in Linux), I
    >>> thought: would it be possible for somebody to create a service for
    >>> Web designers in which you could enter the URL of a page, then
    >>> select the desired OS and/or browser, perhaps other parameters
    >>> like screen size, Java version, etc., and have it send back a
    >>> screenshot of how it is rendered on the selected system? Would
    >>> such a service be useful? Does it already exist, perhaps?

    >> www.browsershots.org.

    > This is 'cool' .. just about like I thought it should have to be.
    > It does not work terribly well yet:
    >
    > -- it is a bit on the slow side, with a response time of 30
    > minutes.

    Well, it's rather popular and it's processor- and network-intensive!

    Harlan Messinger, Nov 5, 2007