Web page to PDF on the fly

Hvid Hat

Hello

I've searched the net looking for a component to generate a PDF from a web
page dynamically on the web server. I'd obviously prefer a free alternative
:)

I've found HTMLDOC (http://www.htmldoc.org/) which is licensed under GNU GPL.
What exactly does it mean? Can it be used with commercial web sites?

Jonathan Wood

I have a client requesting the same thing. I don't see a way to do it (short
of generating the PDF file from scratch). Even if you used HTMLDOC, where
does the server get the HTML code from? I know it creates it, but it then
sends it across the wire. How would you obtain the entire HTML file?

bruce barker

generally a commerical site can use gnu gpl software:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

you should check with your legal staff to see if your company can live with
the rules (most apply if modifiy the source).

you should test it first to see if you are happy with the results. most open
source html-pdf have rather primative html rendering engines. most commerical
products use IE to render the html, then use a psuedo pdf printer to get the
pdf output by telling IE to do a print.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)