Web page width is shrinking/scrunching on some machines

Eric

I've got an intranet site running and when viewed through a couple of
machines the pages appear 'scrunched'.

Labels are reduced in width, forcing them the display multiple lines
of text, instead of a single line.

All buttons are shortened, with the displayed text truncated.

Text boxes are moved closer to their respective labels, causing the
tail-end of the label text to appear superimposed over the text box.

This is happening on a machine with 1024x768 resolution with the
browser window maximized. I have a machine right next to it that is
set for 800x600 and it displays the pages correctly.

Thanks,
Eric

ashelley

I've got an intranet site running and when viewed through a couple of
machines the pages appear 'scrunched'.

Labels are reduced in width, forcing them the display multiple lines
of text, instead of a single line.

All buttons are shortened, with the displayed text truncated.

Text boxes are moved closer to their respective labels, causing the
tail-end of the label text to appear superimposed over the text box.

This is happening on a machine with 1024x768 resolution with the
browser window maximized. I have a machine right next to it that is
set for 800x600 and it displays the pages correctly.

Thanks,
Eric

if you hold down the control button (ctrl) and use the scroll wheel on
the mouse: in most browsers it will resize the font. is this is what
has happened?

-adam

bruce barker

unless you caontrol the machine resolution and font size, you should not use
grid mode layout

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Eric

Resizing the font did the trick on the labels. I brought it down to
the smallest font.

It didn't change the width on the buttons though, the text inside of
those is still truncated.

Thanks,
Eric

ashelley

Resizing the font did the trick on the labels. I brought it down to
the smallest font.

It didn't change the width on the buttons though, the text inside of
those is still truncated.

Thanks,
Eric

by default when you drop things onto the form it includes abosolute
positioning in the style attribute. if you get rid of absolute
positioning then things will probably much easier to format for
different resolutions.

-adam