web pages are just 'not rite'

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on my
    web server have a line break between every line!
    example
    <?

    echo "this";

    if ($blah == "something) {

    echo "something else";

    }

    ?>

    when it should be:
    <?
    echo "this";
    if ($blah == "something) {
    echo "something else";
    }
    ?>

    also, some files, instead of line breaks have boxes.
    <?phpBOXecho "this";BOX

    it doesnt seem to be affecting perforamnce but its annoying when trying to
    edit files

    John, Dec 24, 2003

  2. In article <Sg5Gb.3872582$>,
    says...
    > for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on my
    > web server have a line break between every line!
    > example

    It's not a HTML issue - either your FTP client is fiddling with the
    files during transfer, or your server is modifying the end of line
    characters.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 24, 2003

  3. John

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "John" <> wrote in

    > for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files
    > on my web server have a line break between every line!

    If you and your server are running different OSs (for example, Windows at
    your end and Linux on the server), you need to make sure to set up your FTP
    program to transfer text files (such as HTML, PHP, etc.) in "ascii" mode
    and binary files (such as images) in "binary" mode. What's probably
    happening is that Windows editors normally use a CRLF has the line
    separator whereas Unix-family systems normally use just an LF. In "ascii"
    mode a file uploaded from a Windows system to a Unix system will have each
    CRLF translated to an LF and a file downloaded from a Unix system to a
    Windows system will have each LF translated to a CRLF. But if, say, you
    accidentally upload in binary mode and then download in ascii mode, you'll
    wind up with CRCRLF or something similarly confusing.

    Eric Bohlman, Dec 24, 2003
  4. John

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Hywel Jenkins said:

    >> for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on my
    >> web server have a line break between every line!

    > It's not a HTML issue - either your FTP client is fiddling with the
    > files during transfer, or your server is modifying the end of line
    > characters.

    that was also my thought. binary transfers should fix it.

    --
    brucie
    24/December/2003 10:55:33 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 24, 2003
  5. John

    Cameron Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > In article <Sg5Gb.3872582$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on my
    >>web server have a line break between every line!
    >>example

    > It's not a HTML issue - either your FTP client is fiddling with the
    > files during transfer, or your server is modifying the end of line
    > characters.

    Make sure your FTP client is uploading files in the correct format I.E.
    ASCII or Binary.

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Dec 24, 2003
  6. "John" <> wrote in message
    > for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on

    my
    > web server have a line break between every line!

    Make sure you're uploading in ASCII format.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup