Web part blues

Guest

I made a web part for Business Portal using Visual Studio. It worked fine on
my station. On the remote server, it gave me the following error message:
"Unrecoginzed configuration section 'connectionStrings'". I googled the
error message, and was told to install .NET Framework 2.0. Now Business
Portal tells me, "This page has encountered a critical error. Contact your
system administrator if this problem persists." and I'm not even navigating
to the page with the new webpart.

Thx in advance for your help.

trufaux

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

It sounds like there's a syntax error in the web.config. There should be
more detail in the event log.

Guest

Event log? Sorry, I'm a newbie. Could you be more specific please?

What follows is the configuration error:
*****

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: web.config Line: 12
*****

This is line 12 from my web.config:
*****
<add name="ePrizeAppConnectionString" connectionString="Data
Source=JACKIE;Initial Catalog=ePrizeApp;Integrated Security=True"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
*****

Am I correct in assuming that 'Integrated Security=True' is the same as
Windows Authentication? Could this be the difference between my station and
the server?

Thanks again

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2300

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Version:1.1.4322.2300
Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'

<connectionStrings> is not part of the 1.1 Framework configuration.
It's part of the 2.0 .Net Framework configuration.

If you're using 1.1, use <appSettings>, instead.

Ken Cox said:
It sounds like there's a syntax error in the web.config. There should be
more detail in the event log.

Juan T. Llibre

Adding to my previous reply, you need to change
the .Net Framework version that your application targets.

Use the ASP.NET tab in the Internet Service Manager
to change the Asp.Net version for your app to 2.0.

Ken Cox said:
It sounds like there's a syntax error in the web.config. There should be
more detail in the event log.

Guest

Do you mean Internet Information Services Manager? Do you mean to set
ASP.NET v2.0.50727 to "Allowed" under Web Services Extensions? That was done.

Thanks

Ken Cox said:
It sounds like there's a syntax error in the web.config. There should be
more detail in the event log.

I made a web part for Business Portal using Visual Studio. It worked fine
on
my station. On the remote server, it gave me the following error message:
"Unrecoginzed configuration section 'connectionStrings'". I googled the
error message, and was told to install .NET Framework 2.0. Now Business
Portal tells me, "This page has encountered a critical error. Contact your
system administrator if this problem persists." and I'm not even
navigating
to the page with the new webpart.

Thx in advance for your help.

trufaux

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Do you mean Internet Information Services Manager?
Yes.

re:
Do you mean to set ASP.NET v2.0.50727
to "Allowed" under Web Services Extensions?

No.

I mean right-clicking your application's name in the
list in the Internet Information Services Manager,
selecting "Properties", and then selecting the "ASP.NET" tab.

There, you can set your application to run under 2.0, instead of 1.1

That mioght bring other problems, but at least you'll be running
the correct version of the .Net Framework for <connectionStrings>.

:

It sounds like there's a syntax error in the web.config. There should be
more detail in the event log.

I made a web part for Business Portal using Visual Studio. It worked fine
on
my station. On the remote server, it gave me the following error message:
"Unrecoginzed configuration section 'connectionStrings'". I googled the
error message, and was told to install .NET Framework 2.0. Now Business
Portal tells me, "This page has encountered a critical error. Contact your
system administrator if this problem persists." and I'm not even
navigating
to the page with the new webpart.

Thx in advance for your help.

trufaux

Guest

That was already done. Now my Business Portal page says
*****
This page has encountered a critical error. Contact your system
administrator if this problem persists.

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to
temporarily disable Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more
information, contact your site administrator.

Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.
*****
and I didn't even put my new webpart on it.

I changed connectionStrings to appSettings in my web.config, and the error
message is "Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered
as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS."

Thanks for all your help.

re:

Juan T. Llibre said:
[...]

Hi, Trufaux.

You might want to review how Web Parts work under 2.0.
Some things have changed between 1.1 and 2.0.

See : http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspnet/doc/ctrlref/webparts/default.aspx

Review the source code for each of the example controls there.

If this is too steep a change, you might want to consider
keeping the application under 1.1, and using <appSettings>
instead of <connectionStrings>

trufaux said:
[...]

re: