Web Part connections & using transformers...

AC [MVP MCMS]

So when you have two Web Parts that you connect that don't pass data using
the same interface, you can create a custom transformer that does the translation
for you.

All the code samples I'm finding reference adding an entry to the web.config
to register the transformer, then adding a node to the markup within the
zonetemplate node within the asp:webpartzone node. However, in WSS, you aren't
adding Web Parts declaratively via markup, you're doing it dynamically. I've
tried adding it in the OnInit method of my Web Part via talking to the Web
Part zone my Web Part is currently in, but no luck.

So, how would you utilize a custom transformer in your consumer Web Part
completely through code... no changes to the markup?

Also, would you also have to add an entry to the web.config in a WSS v3 environment
to register the transformer?

If so, can you do this when deploying your Web Part, the same way the SafeControl
entry is added?