Web programming, need really good reference.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Bob, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this early
    stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
    convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
    more efficient.

    But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web based
    environment.

    References to books, web sites etc would be greatly appreciated.

    Yes I have the standard references listed on the ruby home page but at
    most web programming is given a quick chapter overview.

    I am running XP/Mysql/Xitami/php/ruby.

    Why doesn't Xitami get more play/mention, it's really easy to set up
    and use.

    Thanks in advance
    Bob, Dec 26, 2004

  2. Bob

    Sascha Ebach Guest

    Hi Bob,

    I don't know anything about Xitami, but so I guess you don't know
    anything about Lighttpd (http://www.lighttpd.org)? ;)

    You sound like a perfect candidate for trying out rails. The one stop
    shop for developing web apps. It is not the only framework out there,
    but certainly the easiest to get into right now.

    http://www.rubyonrails.org

    Rails runs perfectly with Lighttpd. And there will be books about it in
    the near future.

    Also check out the huge community in #rubyonrails on freenode. It's all
    on the homepage ...

    You also might want to look at other fine frameworks. Just to name a few:

    Cerise, Nitro, Wee, Arrow, Borges, CGIKit, IOWA, ...

    I don't have all the URLs for these, but having the name, you should be
    able to google them really quick.

    Have fun
    --
    Sascha Ebach
    Sascha Ebach, Dec 26, 2004

  3. Bob

    James Britt Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this early
    > stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
    > convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
    > more efficient.
    >
    > But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web based
    > environment.

    How might you describe "definitive reference" and "web based environment"?

    For myself, some of the things I would hope to find in such a beast
    would be:

    Detailed explanation of the differences among mod_ruby, cgi, and fast cgi
    Platform issues (Win32 , Mac, Unixen, etc.)
    Speed
    Security

    Discussion of templating tools
    What comes with the standard Ruby distro
    What other are libraries available
    Comparison on speed, ease of use, maturity, dependencies on other
    libs or native code

    Discussion of Database tools and libraries
    O/R mappers
    OS issues
    Speed, maturity

    Description of XML-related libraries and frameworks, including
    robustness, maturity, and adherence to specs and recommendations
    SOAP
    XML-RPC
    RSS
    XSLT
    WSDL

    Discussion of deployment and testing

    I don't think is there is any single source for this information, but it
    may help to know what specifically you need.

    James
    James Britt, Dec 26, 2004
  4. Bob

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Sascha Ebach wrote:

    > Also check out the huge community in #rubyonrails on freenode.

    And go through the todo tutorial on http://rails.hieraki.org/

    Regards,
    --
    Bil
    Bil Kleb, Dec 26, 2004
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    In a word, yes.

    Actually your definitive is a more definitive than mine.

    Web based environment -> Using the web browser as the primary
    input/output means.

    Definitive -> Greater than the one chapter overview that I have been
    able to find and less than what you consider definitive. I would want
    actual examples of interfacing with mysql using the webbrowser (web
    forms) and page generation. Included would be examples of sessions and
    cookies. The stuff you mentioned would be good as I work my way in to
    it, but for now I am not there.

    I am going to read the rubyonrails tutorial, it looks interesting.

    But other references would be appreciated.

    thanks
    bobc

    Bob, Dec 27, 2004
  6. "Bob" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this early
    > stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
    > convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
    > more efficient.
    >
    > But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web based
    > environment.
    >
    > References to books, web sites etc would be greatly appreciated.

    Here's another bit of information. IMHO it's a good explanation of one
    aspect of web applications - MVC2 (model view controller 2). Although
    it's about Struts (a Java framework) the basic principles can be applied
    to other languages and frameworks, too:

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-struts/

    Kind regards

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Dec 27, 2004
  7. Bob

    James Britt Guest

    Robert Klemme wrote:

    > Here's another bit of information. IMHO it's a good explanation of one
    > aspect of web applications - MVC2 (model view controller 2). Although
    > it's about Struts (a Java framework) the basic principles can be applied
    > to other languages and frameworks, too:
    >
    > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-struts/

    Some alternate takes on MVC

    http://wardley.org/computers/web/mvc.html
    http://www.dehora.net/journal/2004/08/302_borked_framework.html
    http://www.nooranch.com/synaesmedia/wiki/wiki.cgi?ModelViewController

    James
    James Britt, Dec 27, 2004
  8. George Moschovitis, Dec 27, 2004
  9. "James Britt" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Robert Klemme wrote:
    > >

    > > Here's another bit of information. IMHO it's a good explanation of

    one
    > > aspect of web applications - MVC2 (model view controller 2). Although
    > > it's about Struts (a Java framework) the basic principles can be

    applied
    > > to other languages and frameworks, too:
    > >
    > > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-struts/

    > Some alternate takes on MVC
    >
    > http://wardley.org/computers/web/mvc.html
    > http://www.dehora.net/journal/2004/08/302_borked_framework.html
    > http://www.nooranch.com/synaesmedia/wiki/wiki.cgi?ModelViewController

    Just one remark to prevent misunderstandings: I don't advocate Struts; in
    fact I rather suggest *not* to use it. I just think that the suggested
    article describes aspects of how to do reasonable separation of business
    logic and web application logic quite well.

    Kind regards

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Dec 27, 2004
  10. Bob

    James Britt Guest

    Robert Klemme wrote:
    > Just one remark to prevent misunderstandings: I don't advocate Struts; in
    > fact I rather suggest *not* to use it. I just think that the suggested
    > article describes aspects of how to do reasonable separation of business
    > logic and web application logic quite well.

    It's interesting the number of articles that may do a very good job of
    explaining the issues surrounding some aspect of development, while
    advocating precisely the wrong way to approach them.

    I'm not saying that any of the items linked here do that, though they
    might, but it's something to ponder when poking through the myriad Web
    development resources.

    Thanks,

    James
    James Britt, Dec 27, 2004
  11. "James Britt" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Robert Klemme wrote:
    > > Just one remark to prevent misunderstandings: I don't advocate Struts;

    in
    > > fact I rather suggest *not* to use it. I just think that the

    suggested
    > > article describes aspects of how to do reasonable separation of

    business
    > > logic and web application logic quite well.

    > It's interesting the number of articles that may do a very good job of
    > explaining the issues surrounding some aspect of development, while
    > advocating precisely the wrong way to approach them.

    Maybe that's because it's usually easier to describe a problem than to
    come up with a good solution to it. :)

    > I'm not saying that any of the items linked here do that, though they
    > might, but it's something to ponder when poking through the myriad Web
    > development resources.

    Definitely! The use of one's own head cannot be advertised too much. :)

    Regards

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Dec 27, 2004