Web programming, need really good reference.

Bob

I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this early
stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
more efficient.

But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web based
environment.

References to books, web sites etc would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I have the standard references listed on the ruby home page but at
most web programming is given a quick chapter overview.

I am running XP/Mysql/Xitami/php/ruby.

Why doesn't Xitami get more play/mention, it's really easy to set up
and use.

Thanks in advance

Sascha Ebach

Hi Bob,

I don't know anything about Xitami, but so I guess you don't know
anything about Lighttpd (http://www.lighttpd.org)? ;)

You sound like a perfect candidate for trying out rails. The one stop
shop for developing web apps. It is not the only framework out there,
but certainly the easiest to get into right now.

http://www.rubyonrails.org

Rails runs perfectly with Lighttpd. And there will be books about it in
the near future.

Also check out the huge community in #rubyonrails on freenode. It's all
on the homepage ...

You also might want to look at other fine frameworks. Just to name a few:

Cerise, Nitro, Wee, Arrow, Borges, CGIKit, IOWA, ...

I don't have all the URLs for these, but having the name, you should be
able to google them really quick.

Have fun

James Britt

Bob said:
I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this early
stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
more efficient.

But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web based
environment.

How might you describe "definitive reference" and "web based environment"?

For myself, some of the things I would hope to find in such a beast
would be:

Detailed explanation of the differences among mod_ruby, cgi, and fast cgi
Platform issues (Win32 , Mac, Unixen, etc.)
Speed
Security

Discussion of templating tools
What comes with the standard Ruby distro
What other are libraries available
Comparison on speed, ease of use, maturity, dependencies on other
libs or native code

Discussion of Database tools and libraries
O/R mappers
OS issues
Speed, maturity

Description of XML-related libraries and frameworks, including
robustness, maturity, and adherence to specs and recommendations
SOAP
XML-RPC
RSS
XSLT
WSDL

Discussion of deployment and testing

I don't think is there is any single source for this information, but it
may help to know what specifically you need.

James

Bob

In a word, yes.

Actually your definitive is a more definitive than mine.

Web based environment -> Using the web browser as the primary
input/output means.

Definitive -> Greater than the one chapter overview that I have been
able to find and less than what you consider definitive. I would want
actual examples of interfacing with mysql using the webbrowser (web
forms) and page generation. Included would be examples of sessions and
cookies. The stuff you mentioned would be good as I work my way in to
it, but for now I am not there.

I am going to read the rubyonrails tutorial, it looks interesting.

But other references would be appreciated.

thanks
bobc

Robert Klemme

Bob said:
I have started a large project (currently php/mysql) but at this early
stage switching to ruby would not be difficult. While being a late
convert to OOP it is seriously clear to me that using ruby would be
more efficient.

But I can not find a definitive reference on using ruby in a web based
environment.

References to books, web sites etc would be greatly appreciated.

Here's another bit of information. IMHO it's a good explanation of one
aspect of web applications - MVC2 (model view controller 2). Although
it's about Struts (a Java framework) the basic principles can be applied
to other languages and frameworks, too:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-struts/

Kind regards

robert

James Britt

Robert said:
Here's another bit of information. IMHO it's a good explanation of one
aspect of web applications - MVC2 (model view controller 2). Although
it's about Struts (a Java framework) the basic principles can be applied
to other languages and frameworks, too:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-struts/

Some alternate takes on MVC

http://wardley.org/computers/web/mvc.html
http://www.dehora.net/journal/2004/08/302_borked_framework.html
http://www.nooranch.com/synaesmedia/wiki/wiki.cgi?ModelViewController

James

Robert Klemme

James Britt said:

Just one remark to prevent misunderstandings: I don't advocate Struts; in
fact I rather suggest *not* to use it. I just think that the suggested
article describes aspects of how to do reasonable separation of business
logic and web application logic quite well.

Kind regards

robert

James Britt

Robert said:
Just one remark to prevent misunderstandings: I don't advocate Struts; in
fact I rather suggest *not* to use it. I just think that the suggested
article describes aspects of how to do reasonable separation of business
logic and web application logic quite well.

It's interesting the number of articles that may do a very good job of
explaining the issues surrounding some aspect of development, while
advocating precisely the wrong way to approach them.

I'm not saying that any of the items linked here do that, though they
might, but it's something to ponder when poking through the myriad Web
development resources.

Thanks,

James

Robert Klemme

James Britt said:
It's interesting the number of articles that may do a very good job of
explaining the issues surrounding some aspect of development, while
advocating precisely the wrong way to approach them.

Maybe that's because it's usually easier to describe a problem than to
come up with a good solution to it. :)
I'm not saying that any of the items linked here do that, though they
might, but it's something to ponder when poking through the myriad Web
development resources.

Definitely! The use of one's own head cannot be advertised too much. :)

Regards

robert