    browser window and allow files to be downloaded.

    Thanks to anyone that can help.
    , Jan 5, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > First off let me go ahead and say thank you to anyone that can help me
    > out here.
    >
    > I am an industrial designer trying to set up a website that would

    allow
    > my clients to login securely and access files for downloading. I am
    > comfortable with HTML and JavaScript, but want something secure, I

    have
    > messed about with some ASP scripts, but have not really got what I
    > want, basically I would like to be able to setup multiple usernames

    and
    > passwords that when entered would display a directory tree in the
    > browser window and allow files to be downloaded.
    >
    > Thanks to anyone that can help.

    You're going to have to do it server side - client side is just too
    risky, both for you and the client.

    My suggestion is to set up a simple database with username, password and
    any other information would like to collect. Have the users login and
    use a server side script to redirect them to the download page.

    With that said, it's also a good idea to look into SQL injection and use
    best practices to prevent it.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 6, 2007

  3. David Segall Guest

    wrote:

    >I am an industrial designer trying to set up a website that would allow
    >my clients to login securely and access files for downloading. I am
    >comfortable with HTML and JavaScript, but want something secure, I have
    >messed about with some ASP scripts, but have not really got what I
    >want, basically I would like to be able to setup multiple usernames and
    >passwords that when entered would display a directory tree in the
    >browser window and allow files to be downloaded.

    If you really need the set up you have specified I suggest you use
    Visual Web Developer Express Edition
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/> to help you write it.
    A simpler idea would be to use an ftp server. Internet Explorer
    includes the ability to go to a password protected URL of the form
    ftp://example.com and drag and drop from the remote directory to a
    local one and vice versa. I don't know if other browsers can be used
    this way. Even simpler would be to email your clients with the URL of
    their password protected .zip file which is sitting, otherwise
    unprotected, on your web site.
    David Segall, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Toby Inkster Guest

    ronthemon wrote:

    > basically I would like to be able to setup multiple usernames and
    > passwords that when entered would display a directory tree in the
    > browser window and allow files to be downloaded.

    If you want to do it really simply and easily, probably the best thing to
    do would be to create a directory for your protected files, password
    protect it using HTTP Basic authentication, and turn on directory
    listings, then put all your files into that directory (and you can create
    subdirectories too).

    Using Apache, that's pretty simple -- just create your directory, and put
    a file called ".htaccess" into it, containing the following lines:

    Options +Indexes
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName example.net
    AuthUserFile /path/to/password/file.txt
    Require valid-user

    Then create the password file, which consists of lines like this:

    someuser:tR40ZxFCZTntl
    anotheruser:EyUsGr3L4VF.M

    Note here that the passwords for 'someuser' and 'anotheruser' are actually
    'password' and 'foo', but they are stored in the file encrypted for extra
    security. To encrypt a password, use either the "htpasswd" program, or an
    online tool like this <http://www.rekka.net/cgi-bin/htpasswd.cgi>.

    As you appear to be using IIS instead of Apache, the exact procedure will
    differ, but IIS certainly has a directory listing facility, and supports
    HTTP Basic authentication, which is what's important.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jan 6, 2007

    thank you all for your comments and suggestions, I will go with the ftp
    route, easiest for me, thought the hppt access sounds like a good
    solution as well.

    Again thank you for all your help and suggestions.
    , Jan 7, 2007