Web project, bin folder, and Visual Source Safe questions.

clintonb

I'm using:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.42

Issue 1:
We have a solution with a web project and some class library projects.
The web project references the class library projects via a project
reference.
Whenever we compile the class library projects, their dlls are added
to the bin folder of the web project. Visual Studio wants to add
these dlls to Visual Source Safe, but we don't want to store dlls in
Visual Source Safe. How can I prevent that from happening.

I saw an old posting that said to use "Exclude from Project" and that
this whole issue was bug in the beta version. But apparently it is a
bug that never was fixed. Is there a better solution now than marking
every file in the bin folder as "exclude from project"?

Issue 2:
This web project uses some third-party dlls. The web project
references these third-party dlls as file references. Once again,
Visual Studio wants to add those dlls to source safe, but we don't
want that.

How does a web project know what dlls it needs? In a windows project,
the project file stores that information. But there doesn't seem to
be a project file for web projects. It seems the only way you can
indicate which dlls the web project needs is by adding it to the bin
folder.

Laurent Bugnion, MVP

Hi,
I'm using:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.42

Issue 1:
We have a solution with a web project and some class library projects.
The web project references the class library projects via a project
reference.
Whenever we compile the class library projects, their dlls are added
to the bin folder of the web project. Visual Studio wants to add
these dlls to Visual Source Safe, but we don't want to store dlls in
Visual Source Safe. How can I prevent that from happening.

Are you using the Web Application Project template? How do you create
your new project? If you use the "new project / Web application" menu,
then the bin folder doesn't get added to source control. I highly
recommend you to use that. This option is available after you install
VS2005 SP1. If you don't have VS2005 SP1, then consider using this:
http://webproject.scottgu.com/
I saw an old posting that said to use "Exclude from Project" and that
this whole issue was bug in the beta version. But apparently it is a
bug that never was fixed. Is there a better solution now than marking
every file in the bin folder as "exclude from project"?

Issue 2:
This web project uses some third-party dlls. The web project
references these third-party dlls as file references. Once again,
Visual Studio wants to add those dlls to source safe, but we don't
want that.

And again, if you use the Web Application Project template, then the
content of the bin folder will not be added to source control.
How does a web project know what dlls it needs? In a windows project,
the project file stores that information. But there doesn't seem to
be a project file for web projects. It seems the only way you can
indicate which dlls the web project needs is by adding it to the bin
folder.

There is no CSPROJ file for "new websites" templates. There is one for
"new project" templates, so also for the Web Application Project template.

You can quite easily convert your website to a web application.

HTH,
Laurent

clintonb

--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
Software engineering, Blog:http://www.galasoft.ch

Thanks! You've saved me a lot of time and trouble.

- Clint