Web Projects in VS 2005

Guest

I was reading the post from Scott Guthrie’s site
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/23/423409.aspx regarding sub
webs and I have a question. When I originally set up ASP.NET to use a modular
approach to web site development I followed the Q article.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307467#5 where you
can create a root application then a sub web

i.e.

http://localhost/application1 (references project sharedcontrols, module1,
module2)
http://localhost/application1/module1 (references project sharedcontrols)
http://localhost/application1/module2 (references project sharedcontrols)
http://localhost/application1/sharedcontrols

None of the sub webs are applications as everything fall back to the root.
When using VS 2005 it seems impossible because a you cannot exclude sub webs
unless they are an application BUT if they are an application you get an
error - The virtual path #### maps to another application, which is not
allowed.

This seems like a complete catch 22. How do I share controls between apps on
a system with about 50 separate modules. I cannot treat them as separate
applications.

Any explanation or workaround would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Toby

Rick Strahl [MVP]

Toby,

I don't think this behavior has changed from 1.x. The only difference is
that in 1.x you HAD TO create a virtual directory in order for hosting a Web
project/Web Control project whereas in VS 2005 the default of using file
based projects don't use or respect virtual directory boundaries.

You can still do this in VS.NET 2005 by opening the project as a Web Project
from the Web as opposed to opening as a file based project. When you do
ASP.NET recognizes Virtual boundaries and separates the projects as I think
you are looking for.

+++ Rick ---

--

Rick Strahl
West Wind Technologies

Guest

Thanks, I have tried this. Adding the root project and the the virtual
directory (subweb that is NOT an application) so that 2 web site projects are
present in the solution. That works sort but you can not add any references
from one project to the next or drop web user controls across projects. If
you turn the subweb into an application then you get the error The virtual
path #### maps to another application, which is not allowed.

Can anyone try this by following the steps layed out in the ms document

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307467

to actually work in vs 2005.

--

Regards