Web Projects in VS 2005

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?VG9ieVJpbGV5?=, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. I was reading the post from Scott Guthrie’s site
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/23/423409.aspx regarding sub
    webs and I have a question. When I originally set up ASP.NET to use a modular
    approach to web site development I followed the Q article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307467#5 where you
    can create a root application then a sub web

    i.e.

    http://localhost/application1 (references project sharedcontrols, module1,
    module2)
    http://localhost/application1/module1 (references project sharedcontrols)
    http://localhost/application1/module2 (references project sharedcontrols)
    http://localhost/application1/sharedcontrols

    None of the sub webs are applications as everything fall back to the root.
    When using VS 2005 it seems impossible because a you cannot exclude sub webs
    unless they are an application BUT if they are an application you get an
    error - The virtual path #### maps to another application, which is not
    allowed.

    This seems like a complete catch 22. How do I share controls between apps on
    a system with about 50 separate modules. I cannot treat them as separate
    applications.

    Any explanation or workaround would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards

    Toby
    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ieVJpbGV5?=, Nov 25, 2005

  2. Toby,

    I don't think this behavior has changed from 1.x. The only difference is
    that in 1.x you HAD TO create a virtual directory in order for hosting a Web
    project/Web Control project whereas in VS 2005 the default of using file
    based projects don't use or respect virtual directory boundaries.

    You can still do this in VS.NET 2005 by opening the project as a Web Project
    from the Web as opposed to opening as a file based project. When you do
    ASP.NET recognizes Virtual boundaries and separates the projects as I think
    you are looking for.

    +++ Rick ---

    --

    Rick Strahl
    West Wind Technologies

    Rick Strahl [MVP], Nov 25, 2005

  3. Thanks, I have tried this. Adding the root project and the the virtual
    directory (subweb that is NOT an application) so that 2 web site projects are
    present in the solution. That works sort but you can not add any references
    from one project to the next or drop web user controls across projects. If
    you turn the subweb into an application then you get the error The virtual
    path #### maps to another application, which is not allowed.

    Can anyone try this by following the steps layed out in the ms document

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307467

    to actually work in vs 2005.

    --

    Regards