web readers?

nagasaki mike

i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who have
difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly i
shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
coding correctly or not.

thank you very much.

cwdjrxyz

nagasaki said:
i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who have
difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly i
shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
coding correctly or not.

The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
special audio equipment.

richard

cwdjrxyz said:
The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
special audio equipment.

Have you ever spoken with a blind person?
I have many times. They can hear and talk just like you and me.
So what you hear, is what they are going to hear.

richard

nagasaki mike said:
i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who
have
difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly
shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
coding correctly or not.

thank you very much.

So use 2 <br> tags instead.
Put the form in a <div> if you want to style it.

Chaddy2222

cwdjrxyz said:
The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
special audio equipment.
No need to be fussed finding a government organisation, e-mail me
privatly, or just post the url on the NG and i'll comment here. I have
a full copy of Jaws 5.0 screen reader.

nagasaki mike

--
i do use opera but have forgotten which keys to press to get the voice
speaking ... and thanks for the offer but there are a few sites to do and

cwdjrxyz

richard said:
Have you ever spoken with a blind person?
I have many times. They can hear and talk just like you and me.
So what you hear, is what they are going to hear.

Yes, we used to have a blind couple at work. They heard what you and I
hear - perhaps with better concentration because the pay more attention
to sound, touch, etc to compensate for the lack of sight. The poster,
however, has apparently not heard the output of a text to sound device
for his page and thus is not for sure what will be heard by himself or
the blind person. The free Opera translator I mentioned is not perfect,
and I doubt if other devices are either. Thus it is important that
someone hear the page. The Opera device convert a 3l. subheading for a
section to 3 liters! instead of the expected "three l". It of course
had no trouble with 2l. One might want to correct for problems such as
this..

cwdjrxyz

cwdjrxyz said:
The Opera device convert a 3l. subheading for a
section to 3 liters! instead of the expected "three l". It of course
had no trouble with 2l. One might want to correct for problems such as
this..

Typos corrected:

The Opera device converted a 3l. subheading for a

cwdjrxyz

nagasaki said:
i do use opera but have forgotten which keys to press to get the voice
speaking.

Highlight the whole page or portion of it that you wish spoken. Then
right click and select speak. Or you can use the V on the keyboard
instead. Entering the Esc key a time or two will make the voice stop.

nagasaki mike

cwdjrxyz said:
Highlight the whole page or portion of it that you wish spoken. Then
right click and select speak. Or you can use the V on the keyboard
instead. Entering the Esc key a time or two will make the voice stop.
yeah ive been doing that (i used to listen before on previous versions of
opera) but it doesnt seem to work - and i do have the voice activated in
preferences - which is why i seem so confused.
i have the latest version of opera

cwdjrxyz

nagasaki said:
yeah ive been doing that (i used to listen before on previous versions of
opera) but it doesnt seem to work - and i do have the voice activated in
preferences - which is why i seem so confused.
i have the latest version of opera

I also had Opera speaking on an earlier version. However when I clicked
the microphone icon after downloading the most recent version, it
instructed me to download that big binary file. After that it worked
fine. So you might need to re-download that binary file, do a clean
install of Opera, or something of the sort. You might get a fast answer
of what is wrong by posting at the Opera discussion group that can be
reached through Opera's main webpage.

nagasaki mike

cwdjrxyz said:
I also had Opera speaking on an earlier version. However when I clicked
the microphone icon after downloading the most recent version, it
instructed me to download that big binary file. After that it worked
fine. So you might need to re-download that binary file, do a clean
install of Opera, or something of the sort. You might get a fast answer
of what is wrong by posting at the Opera discussion group that can be
reached through Opera's main webpage.

cheers, i'll look into that.