    shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
    coding correctly or not.

    thank you very much.

    nagasaki mike, Oct 14, 2006

  2. nagasaki mike

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    nagasaki mike wrote:
    > i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
    > advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
    > the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who have
    > difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly i
    > shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
    > coding correctly or not.

    The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
    also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
    but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
    large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
    you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
    some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
    person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
    special audio equipment.

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 14, 2006

  3. nagasaki mike

    richard Guest

    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > nagasaki mike wrote:
    >> i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than
    >> trust
    >> advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
    >> the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who
    >> have
    >> difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly
    >> shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
    >> coding correctly or not.

    > The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
    > also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
    > but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
    > large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
    > you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
    > some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
    > person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
    > special audio equipment.

    Have you ever spoken with a blind person?
    I have many times. They can hear and talk just like you and me.
    So what you hear, is what they are going to hear.

    richard, Oct 14, 2006
  4. nagasaki mike

    richard Guest

    "nagasaki mike" <> wrote in message
    >i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
    > advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
    > the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who
    > have
    > difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly
    > shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
    > coding correctly or not.
    >
    > thank you very much.

    So use 2 <br> tags instead.
    Put the form in a <div> if you want to style it.

    richard, Oct 14, 2006
  5. nagasaki mike

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > nagasaki mike wrote:
    > > i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
    > > advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
    > > the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who have
    > > difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly i
    > > shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
    > > coding correctly or not.

    > The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
    > also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
    > but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
    > large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
    > you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
    > some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
    > person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
    > special audio equipment.

    No need to be fussed finding a government organisation, e-mail me
    privatly, or just post the url on the NG and i'll comment here. I have
    a full copy of Jaws 5.0 screen reader.
    Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc/contact-us.html

    Chaddy2222, Oct 14, 2006
  6. "Chaddy2222" <> wrote in message

    > cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > > nagasaki mike wrote:
    > > > i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than

    trust
    > > > advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they

    all
    > > > the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who

    have
    > > > difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything

    correctly i
    > > > shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i

    am
    > > > coding correctly or not.

    > > The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
    > > also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
    > > but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
    > > large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
    > > you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
    > > some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
    > > person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
    > > special audio equipment.

    > No need to be fussed finding a government organisation, e-mail me
    > privatly, or just post the url on the NG and i'll comment here. I have
    > a full copy of Jaws 5.0 screen reader.
    > --

    i do use opera but have forgotten which keys to press to get the voice
    speaking ... and thanks for the offer but there are a few sites to do and
    obviously any works in progress so i'll see if i can get myself 'jaws' so i
    can have a play. though it would be helpful if you could point me towards a
    site that reads perfectly with a screen reader so i can study it. thanks
    very much again.

    nagasaki mike, Oct 14, 2006
  7. nagasaki mike

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    richard wrote:
    > "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > nagasaki mike wrote:
    > >> i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than
    > >> trust
    > >> advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
    > >> the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who
    > >> have
    > >> difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly
    > >> shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
    > >> coding correctly or not.

    > > The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
    > > also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
    > > but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
    > > large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
    > > you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
    > > some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
    > > person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
    > > special audio equipment.
    > >

    > Have you ever spoken with a blind person?
    > I have many times. They can hear and talk just like you and me.
    > So what you hear, is what they are going to hear.

    Yes, we used to have a blind couple at work. They heard what you and I
    hear - perhaps with better concentration because the pay more attention
    to sound, touch, etc to compensate for the lack of sight. The poster,
    however, has apparently not heard the output of a text to sound device
    for his page and thus is not for sure what will be heard by himself or
    the blind person. The free Opera translator I mentioned is not perfect,
    and I doubt if other devices are either. Thus it is important that
    someone hear the page. The Opera device convert a 3l. subheading for a
    section to 3 liters! instead of the expected "three l". It of course
    had no trouble with 2l. One might want to correct for problems such as
    this..

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 14, 2006
  8. nagasaki mike

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    >The Opera device convert a 3l. subheading for a
    > section to 3 liters! instead of the expected "three l". It of course
    > had no trouble with 2l. One might want to correct for problems such as
    > this..

    Typos corrected:

    The Opera device converted a 3l. subheading for a

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 14, 2006
  9. nagasaki mike

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    nagasaki mike wrote:

    > i do use opera but have forgotten which keys to press to get the voice
    > speaking.

    Highlight the whole page or portion of it that you wish spoken. Then
    right click and select speak. Or you can use the V on the keyboard
    instead. Entering the Esc key a time or two will make the voice stop.

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 14, 2006
  10. "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > nagasaki mike wrote:
    >
    > > i do use opera but have forgotten which keys to press to get the voice
    > > speaking.

    > Highlight the whole page or portion of it that you wish spoken. Then
    > right click and select speak. Or you can use the V on the keyboard
    > instead. Entering the Esc key a time or two will make the voice stop.

    yeah ive been doing that (i used to listen before on previous versions of
    opera) but it doesnt seem to work - and i do have the voice activated in
    preferences - which is why i seem so confused.
    i have the latest version of opera

    nagasaki mike, Oct 14, 2006
  11. nagasaki mike

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    nagasaki mike wrote:
    > "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > nagasaki mike wrote:
    > >
    > > > i do use opera but have forgotten which keys to press to get the voice
    > > > speaking.

    > > Highlight the whole page or portion of it that you wish spoken. Then
    > > right click and select speak. Or you can use the V on the keyboard
    > > instead. Entering the Esc key a time or two will make the voice stop.
    > >

    > yeah ive been doing that (i used to listen before on previous versions of
    > opera) but it doesnt seem to work - and i do have the voice activated in
    > preferences - which is why i seem so confused.
    > i have the latest version of opera

    I also had Opera speaking on an earlier version. However when I clicked
    the microphone icon after downloading the most recent version, it
    instructed me to download that big binary file. After that it worked
    fine. So you might need to re-download that binary file, do a clean
    install of Opera, or something of the sort. You might get a fast answer
    of what is wrong by posting at the Opera discussion group that can be
    reached through Opera's main webpage.

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 14, 2006
  12. "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > nagasaki mike wrote:
    > > "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    voice

    > > > Highlight the whole page or portion of it that you wish spoken. Then
    > > > right click and select speak. Or you can use the V on the keyboard
    > > > instead. Entering the Esc key a time or two will make the voice stop.
    > > >

    > > yeah ive been doing that (i used to listen before on previous versions

    of
    > > opera) but it doesnt seem to work - and i do have the voice activated in
    > > preferences - which is why i seem so confused.
    > > i have the latest version of opera

    > I also had Opera speaking on an earlier version. However when I clicked
    > the microphone icon after downloading the most recent version, it
    > instructed me to download that big binary file. After that it worked
    > fine. So you might need to re-download that binary file, do a clean
    > install of Opera, or something of the sort. You might get a fast answer
    > of what is wrong by posting at the Opera discussion group that can be
    > reached through Opera's main webpage.

    cheers, i'll look into that.

    nagasaki mike, Oct 14, 2006