Web reference - Reference.cs cannot be updated

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by ToTo, Dec 4, 2006.

  1. ToTo

    ToTo Guest

    Hello all,

    I don't know, if this is a bug or by design, or what ever..., but if I have
    a web reference to a web service, that makes a typed dataset available, some
    properties will not be updated on reference, when I change it in the original
    XSD.
    For example:
    I have a dll containing a typed dataset DS with a table, that has a field,
    that is of type string and has a property "NullValue" (throw exception).
    A WebService returns an object of type DS and for that reason there exists a
    web reference, that makes DS available to application calling the webservice.
    So, if I change the property "NullValue" to (Empty) on XSD of the dll, it
    will not be updated at the schema on web reference. But, if I add a new field
    to typed dataset DS, reference will be updated. Also the properties like
    length, datatype ore caption will be updated.

    What is wrong there? Something overlooked?

    ToTo, Dec 4, 2006

  2. "ToTo" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I don't know, if this is a bug or by design, or what ever..., but if I
    > have
    > a web reference to a web service, that makes a typed dataset available,
    > some
    > properties will not be updated on reference, when I change it in the
    > original
    > XSD.
    > For example:
    > I have a dll containing a typed dataset DS with a table, that has a field,
    > that is of type string and has a property "NullValue" (throw exception).
    > A WebService returns an object of type DS and for that reason there exists
    > web reference, that makes DS available to application calling the
    > webservice.
    > So, if I change the property "NullValue" to (Empty) on XSD of the dll, it
    > will not be updated at the schema on web reference. But, if I add a new
    > field
    > to typed dataset DS, reference will be updated. Also the properties like
    > length, datatype ore caption will be updated.
    >
    > What is wrong there? Something overlooked?

    This appears to be a deficiency. Another poster on
    microsoft.public.framework.webservices posted the same problem. See the
    thread "Web Reference Dataset Bug".

    John

    John Saunders, Dec 4, 2006