Web safe colors

Discussion in 'HTML' started by soundboxster@gmail.com, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Sep 12, 2006

  2. Runnin' on Empty, Sep 12, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > Web safe colors

    .... are of little relevance now that 256 colour displays are uncommon.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 12, 2006
  4. On 2006-09-12, Runnin' on Empty wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Web safe colors page... -> http://www.freewebs.com/htmlcolorchart/
    >>

    > Of what possible use are web safe colors today?
    >
    > Not even the one person responsible for popularizing their use thinks you
    > should us them:
    >
    > http://www.lynda.com/hex.asp

    ...where she says:

    There may be resurgence in the need for the browser-safe
    palette when designing for alternative online publishing
    devices, such as cell phones and PDAs. Those systems are still
    in 1-bit (black and white) or 8-bit color.

    and:

    there's no harm in using the browser-safe palette either. It
    simply limits your choices to 216 colors. Most people don't
    have a lot of color picking confidence, and working with
    limited color choices is easier. At this point, there's no
    right or wrong when it comes to which colors you pick, but
    more important to know how to combine colors in pleasing and
    effective ways.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 13, 2006
  5. "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-09-12, Runnin' on Empty wrote:
    >>
    >><> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Web safe colors page... -> http://www.freewebs.com/htmlcolorchart/
    >>>

    >> Of what possible use are web safe colors today?
    >>
    >> Not even the one person responsible for popularizing their use thinks you
    >> should us them:
    >>
    >> http://www.lynda.com/hex.asp

    > ...where she says:

    or:

    Is the Browser-Safe Palette Dead?
    Though this might seem blasphemous to older readers of my books, or loyal
    website visitors, I believe it's safe to design without the palette. I
    believe this because so few computer users view the web in 256 colors
    anymore.

    Conversely, there's no harm in using the browser-safe palette either. It
    simply limits your choices to 216 colors. Most people don't have a lot of
    color picking confidence, and working with limited color choices is easier.
    At this point, there's no right or wrong when it comes to which colors you
    pick, but more important to know how to combine colors in pleasing and
    effective ways.

    216 mostly bad color choices IMHO...

    She also said:

    The browser-safe palette was developed by programmers with no design sense,
    I assure you. That's because a designer would have never picked these
    colors. Mostly, the palette contains far less light and dark colors than I
    wish it did, and is heavy on highly saturated colors and low on muted,
    tinted or toned colors.

    Runnin' on Empty, Sep 13, 2006
  6. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Runnin' on Empty" <> wrote:

    > She also said:
    >
    > The browser-safe palette was developed by programmers with no design sense,
    > I assure you. That's because a designer would have never picked these
    > colors. Mostly, the palette contains far less light and dark colors than I
    > wish it did, and is heavy on highly saturated colors and low on muted,
    > tinted or toned colors.

    Was there not a useful factor in the ease of categorizing the
    websafe colors in respect to #AABBCC? Would or could this non
    existent but possible "designer" have chosen and kept to the
    simplicity of the idea of duplication in the three pairs. Imagine
    a group of "designers" agreeing on a spread of 256 colours if the
    only criteria was "a nice range" of colours!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 13, 2006
  7. In article <ee79fs$gn0$1$>,
    David Dorward <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Web safe colors

    > ... are of little relevance now that 256 colour displays are uncommon.

    ....and doubly so since Webmonkey pointed out that there were only 22
    truly "safe" colors in their interesting article which is unfortunately
    no longer online.

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/