    the youth work website
    http://www.youthworker.org.uk
    --------------------------

    Ian Hurst (Troyka), Feb 28, 2004

  2. Ian Hurst (Troyka)

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Ian Hurst (Troyka)" <> wrote in message
    > is there a list of web safe standard fonts?
    > ones that will work on every computer (well almost every)
    > --------------------------
    > Youth Work Resources
    > the youth work website
    > http://www.youthworker.org.uk
    > --------------------------

    See the post above :)

    SpaceGirl, Feb 28, 2004

  3. Ian Hurst (Troyka)

    Dylan Parry Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > See the post above :)

    Quote:

    "I guess Arial is the most striking of the web fonts you can use. All the
    other fonts which are available for web sites (pretty much: arial, times,
    courier, verdana, tahoma) are too um.. curly. You cant use any other fonts
    because you can't guarantee people have them installed on their machines."
    -- SpaceGirl

    Just in case the post above is not above ;)

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Now playing: Creed - What If

    Dylan Parry, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:
    > is there a list of web safe standard fonts?
    > ones that will work on every computer (well almost every)

    serif, sans-serif, cursive, fantasy, monospace. Anything else is just a
    guess.

    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 28, 2004
  5. Ian Hurst (Troyka)

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:15:47 +0000, Dylan Parry <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Just in case the post above is not above ;)

    Indeed. It's below here (and there are a couple of posts in between).
    :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    >> is there a list of web safe standard fonts?
    >> ones that will work on every computer (well almost every)

    > serif, sans-serif, cursive, fantasy, monospace. Anything else is
    > just a guess.

    Actually, the generic fonts are even more of a guess. If you set
    font to Arial, you are in principle referring to a specific font family
    you can know. The browser may ignore your <font face="Arial"> or
    font-family: Arial, of course. When you set font-family: sans-serif,
    you are, by definition, asking the browser use the "typical" sans-serif
    that _it_ chooses (maybe as instructed by the user). And
    unfortunately browsers do this rather poorly, with sometimes
    strange ideas of "typical". Besides, in reality, you are also asking
    for browser bugs - they have some oddities in handling declarations
    with generic font names.

    Setting fonts is tricky. Typography is difficult, and the Web as an
    environment is in many ways hostile to typography. There's very little
    we can do with any safety.

    Here's a simple approach (in CSS):

    @media screen { body { font-family: Arial, sans-serif; } }
    @media print { body { font-family: "Times New Roman", serif; }
    h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, caption {
    font-family: Arial, sans-serif; } }

    This shouldn't do much harm, and it probably improves the overall
    appearance on the average.

    For pages with more or less literary content (as opposite to
    technical), font-family: Georgia for copy text might work well - it's
    nice both on screen and on paper, and it's fairly widely available. And
    when it's not, the browser default is probably at least tolerable.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Ian Hurst (Troyka)

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:15:47 +0000, Dylan Parry <>
    > declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> Just in case the post above is not above ;)

    > Indeed. It's below here (and there are a couple of posts in between).
    > :)

    There is of course the fact that the post was also not 100% accurate, but
    I shan't go into that now :)

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Now playing: Mozart - Symphony No. 40

    Dylan Parry, Feb 29, 2004
  8. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Actually, the generic fonts are even more of a guess. If you set
    > font to Arial, you are in principle referring to a specific font family
    > you can know.

    Even that's guess-work I'm afraid.

    The Arial that comes with AbiWord is quite different from the Arial that
    comes with, say, Windows.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Mar 1, 2004