web server for managed computers

barabba72

Hi all,

I deployed a number of managed thin clients running XP Embedded.
These thin clients are located thousands of miles away and their
management (consider they are very locked-down) is not trivial.

I would like to install on each thin client a small web server so that
I could connect to each thin client and be able to retrieve certain
data such as name, ip address, up time, application version installed,
etc.

My question is: is there something like this in the market somewhere
that I could use or do I have to code it myself ?
I tried to install apache and play a bit with it but I'm really not
expert using asp or php. I'm rather good at vbscript if that can
help... What should I do in order to accomplish this task ?

If I have to code it myself, would it be possible just to get
instructions on how to display on a web page a very basic data such as
the ip address or the host name of the computer ? This would get me
started...

Thank you so much for your help !

barabba72

Thank you for your answer. I will have a look at it.
May I ask you something more ? I know how to use VBSCRIPT and WMI but
how would I port that to a, say, ASP page ? would it be possible to
post a simple example of a web page that shows the computer (the
server) ip address or hostname ? that would really get me started !

Thank you and Regards

Tom B

You can use VBScript for ASP pages.

The default permission for an ASP script is pretty limited, you'll probably
need to change the IIS settings to use an account that has permission to
read files and such.

I don't think you really need the IP address -- since your browser would
have figured it out anyway.

Take a look at www.aspfaq.com and www.fourguysfromrolla.com for some help

I was going to post a simple example buy my ridiculous news reader won't let
me paste in here cleanly...

TomB