    started...

    Thank you so much for your help !

    , Jul 24, 2005

  2. Tom B Guest

    I believe that IIS is a component that can be included in XP Embedded.
    If not you could take a look at the Cassini web server
    http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

    Tom B

    Tom B, Jul 25, 2005

    Thank you for your answer. I will have a look at it.
    May I ask you something more ? I know how to use VBSCRIPT and WMI but
    how would I port that to a, say, ASP page ? would it be possible to
    post a simple example of a web page that shows the computer (the
    server) ip address or hostname ? that would really get me started !

    Thank you and Regards

    Tom B wrote:
    > I believe that IIS is a component that can be included in XP Embedded.
    > If not you could take a look at the Cassini web server
    > http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1
    >
    > Tom B
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I deployed a number of managed thin clients running XP Embedded.
    > > These thin clients are located thousands of miles away and their
    > > management (consider they are very locked-down) is not trivial.
    > >
    > > I would like to install on each thin client a small web server so that
    > > I could connect to each thin client and be able to retrieve certain
    > > data such as name, ip address, up time, application version installed,
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > My question is: is there something like this in the market somewhere
    > > that I could use or do I have to code it myself ?
    > > I tried to install apache and play a bit with it but I'm really not
    > > expert using asp or php. I'm rather good at vbscript if that can
    > > help... What should I do in order to accomplish this task ?
    > >
    > > If I have to code it myself, would it be possible just to get
    > > instructions on how to display on a web page a very basic data such as
    > > the ip address or the host name of the computer ? This would get me
    > > started...
    > >

    > > Thank you so much for your help !

    , Jul 25, 2005
  4. Tom B Guest

    You can use VBScript for ASP pages.

    The default permission for an ASP script is pretty limited, you'll probably
    need to change the IIS settings to use an account that has permission to
    read files and such.

    I don't think you really need the IP address -- since your browser would
    have figured it out anyway.

    Take a look at www.aspfaq.com and www.fourguysfromrolla.com for some help

    I was going to post a simple example buy my ridiculous news reader won't let
    me paste in here cleanly...

    TomB

    Tom B, Jul 29, 2005