web server outbound calls, from which tier?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Secret Squirrel, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    We have a three tier architecture, but now we have received a third
    party application that doesn't fit into it, and I am trying to find a
    clean way to make it fit in nicely without rewritting it.

    In our applications architecture, we have a presentation tier that is a
    ASP.NET web server, accessible from the internet. This presentation
    tier connects to a application tier, that is also accessible thru an
    ASP.NET web server by web services. The web services in the application
    tier access the Database tier, which simply is a database. Firewalls
    between each server/tier.

    Only our presentation tier is externally accessible. But it cannot
    connect to the database directly due to firewall restrictions. The
    presentation server/web server can only connect to the application
    server. Our application tier can connect to the database, but cannot
    connect to the internet due to firewall restrictions.

    And now comes the bad news. A third party has given us an application
    that we must host as well, that we cannot modify. This application will
    connect to the database (directly), and it also wants to communicate
    with a external web service via the internet. So it breaks our mold -
    it won't go on the application tier because it needs to connect to the
    internet, and we cannot place it at the presentation tier because it
    needs to connect to the database.

    Any suggestions, bearing in mind that we cannot rewrite the 3rd party
    app? The application server CAN connect to the presentation tier's web
    server- is there any way we could forward the requests from the
    application server to the web server, and then have the web server
    handle the request to the external web service, and return the response
    to the application server? Any other ideas?

    THanks,

    Jon Paugh
    Secret Squirrel, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Hi,

    Why don't you write another web service on your web server (Presentation
    layer) , that can be called up from your application server (third party
    component), and this service would just forward the calls to the external
    webservice, and return back the results. Just a pure wrapper. My 2c.

    HTH,
    r.
    http://codebetter.com/blogs/ranjan.sakalley/

    Ranjan Sakalley, Jan 21, 2006

  3. I agree with Ranjan on the solution. Have the 3rd party app sit on the
    app tier and have it connect to an endpoint on the webserver through
    the port that's open between the two.
    Javier G. Lozano, Jan 21, 2006
  4. thanks for suggestion.
    Secret Squirrel, Jan 23, 2006