Web server reported following error... HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Bonds, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. John Bonds

    John Bonds Guest

    My server is running Windows 2003. ASP.NET 1.1 is installed and seems to be
    working fine but when I try to create a project from VS.NET 2003 I get the
    "Web server reported following error... HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error"
    message.

    I have already read a bunch of posts from others saying to run
    aspnet_regiis.exe -i and the like but none of this has worked. Here's what I
    have found:

    BTW: Each website has its own IUSR account associated with it (i.e.
    IUSR_websitename). This may or may not be relevant.

    If I run FileMon while I try to create the project, I see that w3wp.exe
    tries to access the root directory of the web as follows:

    OPEN c:\Domains\website.com - SUCCESS

    Then a few lines later I see this:

    OPEN c:\Domains\website.com\ - ACCESS DENIED

    Note the only difference is the slash. I have made the ASPNET worker process
    part of the admin group for the sake of argument but still get the same
    results.

    Any help is appreciated.

    John Bonds, Aug 3, 2004

  2. John Bonds

    John Bonds Guest

    More Notes

    I found that if I go to IIS

    IIS->Application Pools->DefaultAppPool

    which is the app pool my app is sitting in, and change the identity from
    Network Service to Local Service, I am able to create my app. However, I
    would like to know how to fix this problem without compromising the security
    of my server.

    Thanks

    John Bonds, Aug 3, 2004

  3. John Bonds

    Amaryllis Guest

    re:Web server reported following error... HTTP/1.1 500 Internal

    I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago. Nothing seemed to work
    for me, but I finally deleted the ASPNET account using Computer
    Management and went through the steps listed here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306005

    I hope this helps.

    Amaryllis

    Amaryllis, Aug 3, 2004