Web Service and Membership provider, how?

Jeff

hi

asp.net 3.5

I'm working on a website, Which is using SqlMembershipProvider. Users are
stored in the aspnet_Users table, All users in the table is just test
data....

But on the live system I shouldn't use SqlMembershipProvider. Instead I need
authenticate users via a web service (the client has registered users on
another server, and he want my system to check against that database)...

So I thought about using a web service which calls this other server, and
downloads information to my website... then save the information to the
aspnet_Users table because my website will group users into roles..

if possible, then how should it be implemented?
you got an link I can read about this subject?

Best Regards

Pete Hurst

Jeff said:
But on the live system I shouldn't use SqlMembershipProvider. Instead I
need authenticate users via a web service (the client has registered users
on another server, and he want my system to check against that
database)...

It really depends on how the membership data is stored on the other server.
If it's already using ASP.NET membership then your job is a lot easier. If
it's a custom membership model, you will need to build a custom Membership
Provider. This can be easily dropped in place of the SqlMembershipProvider
as needed, utilising the Provider Model. Start here:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=asp.net+building+a+membership+provider

Then you can implement the web service in any way you like, but you might
want to look at WCF. Your decision might come down to what technology the
server is already running.
So I thought about using a web service which calls this other server, and
downloads information to my website... then save the information to the
aspnet_Users table because my website will group users into roles..

Just to correct your terminology; the web service runs on the other server.
Your application is the client which is calling the web service; not the
other way round.

Pete