web service beginners question

Mike P

I have seen examples of web services where a particular method returns a
single value, a string or an integer usually. I need to be able to
return 1 or more values (depending upon what an SQL query returns). If
I write a method in my web service that returns an ArrayList or array,
will the XML that is returned by the web service deal with this
appropriately (i.e. put each element in the array in a separate tag)?

Cheers,

Mike

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

how about returning a dataset. a dataset is the only serializeable,
remoteable object.

Mike P

Alvin,

Yes, I'd think that returning a dataset would be the best option.

I'm currently reading data from an XML file using XPathNavigator and
XPathNodeIterator to select the subset of data that I want. I've never
using the XPath objects before so I'm not sure how to get this data into
a dataset.

XPathDocument doc = new
XPathDocument(@"C:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\test.xml");
XPathNavigator nav = doc.CreateNavigator();
XPathNodeIterator iter =
nav.Select("/test/translation/engword[preceding-sibling::fraword = '" +
strFraWord + "']");

Can anybody help me out with this?

Cheers,

Mike

S. Justin Gengo

Mike,

Any data at all may be sent via a web service.

The only requirement is that the object you are sending has to utilize the
iSerializable interface. The ArrayList object does so, so that is one you
can use as is.

You may also build your own classes which utilize iSerializable.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer