web service behind firewall without DNS

eunever32

Hi

I am attempting to connect to a web service from a unix server which
is behind a firewall

The first problem I have is that the apache axis is complaining about
the URL

I can only assume this is because there is no DNS on the Unix server
but I was hoping the axis client would send to the proxy before trying
to interpret the URL

The errors is as follows:
AxisFault
faultCode: {http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/}
Server.userException
faultSubcode:
faultString: java.net.UnknownHostException: xyz.uiop.com
faultActor:
faultNode:
faultDetail:
{http://xml.apache.org/axis/}
stackTrace:java.net.UnknownHostException: xyz.uiop.com

I then tried using the ip-address ie 159.137.136.87 on the windows
network (which normally works) but this failed with a HTTP 404 error
unknown host. Could it be because the ip-address is "non-
authoritative"?

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: xyz.uiop.com
Address: 159.137.136.87

The second problem, which I haven't yet encountered is that I may need
to be "logged" into the network as well as setting the http.proxyHost/
user/password/port settings in the jvm argument. Could this be the
problem?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

RedGrittyBrick

Hi

I am attempting to connect to a web service from a unix server which
is behind a firewall

The first problem I have is that the apache axis is complaining about
the URL

I can only assume this is because there is no DNS on the Unix server

That is a reasonable assumption. I suggest you configure DNS or put a
record into /etc/hosts for the target domain name and IP-address

but I was hoping the axis client would send to the proxy before trying
to interpret the URL

The errors is as follows:
AxisFault
faultCode: {http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/}
Server.userException
faultSubcode:
faultString: java.net.UnknownHostException: xyz.uiop.com
faultActor:
faultNode:
faultDetail:
{http://xml.apache.org/axis/}
stackTrace:java.net.UnknownHostException: xyz.uiop.com
I then tried using the ip-address ie 159.137.136.87 on the windows
network (which normally works)

This won't work in most cases as the client wont send a HTTP Host header
which the web-server usually needs to distinguish amongst the web-sites
it hosts.
but this failed with a HTTP 404 error
unknown host.

That is a reply from a web server saying it can't find what you are
looking for (probably because the Host header wasn't in the HTTP headers).
Could it be because the ip-address is "non-
authoritative"?

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: xyz.uiop.com
Address: 159.137.136.87

No, non-authoritative means that a nearby DNS server has answered your
question rather than referring the question to the authoritative DNS
server. This is normal. The IP-address should be the correct one for
that domain name unless the web-server has been rehosted very recently
and the DNS admins failed to reduce the time-to-live (TTL) on the DNS
data in preparation for the move.
The second problem, which I haven't yet encountered is that I may need
to be "logged" into the network as well as setting the http.proxyHost/
user/password/port settings in the jvm argument. Could this be the
problem?

I'd seek the assistance of whoever administers the HTTP proxy. They vary
a lot.

Roedy Green

Any suggestions appreciated.

do the same thing with a browser, and snoop on the conversation.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Don’t worry about people stealing an idea; if it’s original, you’ll have to shove it down their throats.
~ Howard Aiken (born: 1900-03-08 died: 1973-03-14 at age: 73)