Web Service call API

Kory Skistad

We have an API library provided by a vendor. When I run this as a
Windows App under .NET, it works correctly. However, when I converted
it to a web service, it returns 0 values but doesn't cause an error to
occur.

What is strange is when I try to change the code to cause an error to
occur, such as passing invalid arguments into the function, etc.
still no errors occur and values are returned from the function but
they are always zero.

Another strange thing- I wanted to see if it was even finding the DLL
on the server, so I renamed the file in the Declare statement as
"Analysis.dlx" and it did report an error... so I changed the file
itself to "Analysis.dlx" and the error disappeared. I took this to
mean the it was indeed trying to use that particular file. BUT...
Then I changed the Delcare back to "Analysis.DLL" and the function
still worked! I didn't rename the file back from "Analysis.DLX", so I
don't think it would be using that file, and I did a complete search
of the harddrive and found no "Analysis.dll" anywhere (btw, I am using
my PC as the web server so all development is happening on one PC). I
did try closing VS and restarting to see if it was caching the DLL
someplace but that didn't change the behavior. (I didn't try rebooting
between changes though... that seemed too drastic)

I am stumpped by this one. I've tried using DLLImports too to see if
that would make a difference, and that didn't help. In summary, it
appears the function is being called, but correct data is not
returning and sending invalid arguements to the function that would
cause it to error in a windows app is not causing any errors in a web
service app.

Anyone? Anyone?

Dan Rogers

Hi Kory,

Sounds like there may be a namespace issue involved on the wire - but need
to understand your topology. Are you saying that you took a third party
application and wrote a managed code web service wrapper for some of the
methods it exposed? Or are you saying that the application already
provided web service interfaces? Or, by web service, do you mean that the
application uses a browser do display data?

Assuming it IS a web service, how did you build the caller-side proxy?

Regards

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation