Web service call timeout

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by JD, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    We have two web service machines. Call one WS1 and the other WS2. They are
    seperated by a firewall. WS1 handles web service calls and also calls web
    services provided by WS2. Both machines do not get updated or restarted very
    often. The problem is after some period of time, the web service call from
    WS1 (within the ASP.NET process) to WS2 hangs and times out.

    If I go to WS1 and open IE, I can get the WSDL from WS2, and if I use
    another client on WS1 I can actually make the web service call successfully
    to WS2 that fails within WS1 ASP.NET process. If I restart the WS1 ASP.NET
    process, it starts working again.

    I put in a web page that will be housed within the ASP.NET process on WS1.
    It allows me to enter URLs and allows me to specify HTTP or TCP. When WS1
    ASP.NET process gets into this state, I can enter the URL to WS2 and specify
    HTTP, and it gives me the timeout. If I specify TCP it works. If I specify
    any URL other than WS2, and specify HTTP or TCP, it works. So it seems
    something in the HTTP library gets deadlocked and its associated with a
    specific URL.

    At first I thought it might be HTTP keep-alive. I configured IIS on WS1 and
    WS2 to not use HTTP keep-alive and it continued to show up.

    Any ideas?

    TIA.
    JD

    JD, Mar 11, 2005

  2. JD

    JD Guest

    First thanks for replying.

    Unfortunately I cannot provide the detailed debugging information at this
    time. What I can tell you is that I get a generic timeout message, and there
    is *NO* callstack but an uninterpreted HRESULT returned as the error. I can
    also tell you this functionality will work for weeks on end but suddenly
    stop working.

    I can definitely tell you its the call from WS1 toWS2, and using HTTP not
    just web services. When WS1 ASP.NET process gets into this state, I cannot
    do a simple HTTP request to WS2 from within the ASP.NET process, I get the
    error mentioned above. Try connecting to WS2 from within the ASP.NET process
    using TCP and it connects. Change it back HTTP, it fails. Try another URL
    with HTTP and its a success. Change it back to WS2 with HTTP, it fails. Try
    connecting to WS2 using IE from WS1 and it succeeds. So its process specific
    not machine specific, and its protocol specific.

    I watched all the port activity with TCPView when the ASP.NET process is in
    this state, and all connections are visible except HTTP calls to WS2 from
    within the ASP.NET process. TCP connections from within the ASP.NET process
    to WS2 do show. IE to WS2 connections do show. This leads me to believe that
    the call is blocked within the ASP.NET process itself, and its probably
    within the HTTP library since no web service calls or HTTP reqeusts work,
    but the TCP connections work.

    When I kill the ASP.NET process and it starts again, TCPView will start
    showing the HTTP connections to WS2 and all is fine.

    At this point I'm just trying to hear if anyone else has heard of this. I
    did hear something about HTTP keep-alive causing deadlocks in the HTTP
    library but that was a deadend in my case.

    If you haven't heard of this or seen this, don't sweat it. I'll probably
    wait till it happens again, debug the asp.net process, grab all the
    information when the exception is thrown, and start communicating to MS.

    JD

    "Steve Lutz" <> wrote in message
    > JD,
    > Is is possible to include some debugging information regarding the timeout
    > occuring on WS1? The exception information might give you (us) more data

    > troubleshoot the problem. We know that it is the ASP.NET process on WS1
    > causing the problem, but using the info you provided, I cannot tell if

    it's

    JD, Mar 13, 2005