Web Service call times out under IIS 5.1

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Fishpool, Dec 17, 2009.

  1. I have code which makes web service calls from within one web application to
    a web service. Under Visual Studio 2005 (it's .NET 2.0) development server
    and on 2003 Server / IIS 6 this works fine. Recently (probably sometime in
    the last month) this has stopped working under IIS 5.1 for no obvious reason.
    We suspect it may be related to some recent security update but have not yet
    managed to identify what is going on.

    An example call looks something like this:
    try
    {
    TestWS.localhost.Service1 oSvc = new TestWS.localhost.Service1();
    string sResponse = oSvc.HelloWorld();
    if (sResponse != null)
    {
    Response.Write(sResponse);
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
    Response.Write(ex);
    }

    Where TestWS.localhost.Service1 is the .NET generated proxy class to call
    the service. Run this in the VS development server and out comes Hello World,
    deploy to IIS on XP and the following exception is caught:

    System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
    request)
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
    request)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at TestWS.localhost.Service1.HelloWorld() in C:\Documents and
    Settings\mfishpool\My Documents\Visual Studio

    2005\Projects\TestWS\Web References\localhost\Reference.cs:line 78
    at ASP.default_aspx.__Renderform1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control
    parameterContainer) in

    c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\TestWS\Default.aspx:line 17

    Inspecting the call using tcptrace shows the header is being sent but not
    the content. The content length is there, just nothing after the headers. I
    have a simple solution with two projects, web app and web services, which
    demonstrates this and I've reproduced it on several developers machines in
    our office. Happy to supply the example solution/projects to anyone who might
    be able to help with this.

    Any ideas of what's going on here, or possible avenues to explore?

    Thanks,

    --
    Mark

    Mark Fishpool, Dec 17, 2009