Web service convert to VS2005 web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Harry Simpson, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. I've upgraded a webservice project from VS2003 to VS2005. In my VS2003
    solution I created a handy msi install for the webservice that always worked
    fine.

    In my VS2005 solution I also created this msi install for my VS2005
    Webservice app. The web service works fine in the IDE in debug run mode and
    compiles just fine into a MSI install but after the install I try to hit the
    main asmx page and get the following error:

    Server Error in '/tezDataAccess' Application.

    Parser Error

    Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'tezDataAccess.Global'.
    Source Error:
    Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
    Inherits="tezDataAccess.Global" %>
    Source File: /tezDataAccess/global.asax Line: 1
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.832

    If I remember when I converted to VS2005 it did not create a Global.asax
    file which I use extensively. I added one to the project and like I said
    all works fine in the IDE and even hitting the service on my box just from
    IE.

    Obviously something is not right with the install - also I'm installing this
    on a Windows 2003 Server whereas my box is running XP Pro if that'd make any
    difference.....

    Anyone else run into this?

    TIA

    Harry
    Harry Simpson, Aug 23, 2007

  2. "Harry Simpson" <> wrote in message
    > I've upgraded a webservice project from VS2003 to VS2005. In my VS2003
    > solution I created a handy msi install for the webservice that always
    > worked fine.
    >
    > In my VS2005 solution I also created this msi install for my VS2005
    > Webservice app. The web service works fine in the IDE in debug run mode
    > and compiles just fine into a MSI install but after the install I try to
    > hit the main asmx page and get the following error:
    >
    > Server Error in '/tezDataAccess' Application.
    >
    > Parser Error
    > to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error
    > details and modify your source file appropriately.
    >
    > Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'tezDataAccess.Global'.
    > Source Error:
    > Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
    > Inherits="tezDataAccess.Global" %>
    > Source File: /tezDataAccess/global.asax Line: 1
    > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832;
    > ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832
    >
    > If I remember when I converted to VS2005 it did not create a Global.asax
    > file which I use extensively. I added one to the project and like I said
    > all works fine in the IDE and even hitting the service on my box just from
    > IE.
    >
    > Obviously something is not right with the install - also I'm installing
    > this on a Windows 2003 Server whereas my box is running XP Pro if that'd
    > make any difference.....
    >
    > Anyone else run into this?

    Just everyone who tried to use the new "Web Site" model in VS2005.

    You should create a new Web Service Project and fill it with your existing
    code. That is the same kind of project as in VS2003, and it's the only one I
    suggest that anyone use for serious development work.
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]
    John Saunders [MVP], Aug 23, 2007

  3. COL then LOL .....

    Thanks John,

    I looked at the installed directory and it failed to place the DLL in the
    BIN directory but left it in the root.....copied the DLL into the BIN and
    ran it again on the deployed platform and it runs fine.

    thanks for the good advice on this

    Harry

    Harry Simpson, Aug 23, 2007
  4. I also had the same problem - converted WebServices project from VS2003 to
    VS2005 and got Parser Error Message: Could not load type.
    After few hours I was able to fix it. The problem is that the WebService dll
    is not created in bin folder of the project if the project type is WebSite.
    So I have removed the WebService project from the solution and re-added it
    back by selecting File - Add - Exiting Project.
    After that when doing a build the bin folder is created, WebService dll was
    built in that bin folder and no parse error message!
    Hope this will help.

    Katerina

    Katerina Kostrioukova, Sep 4, 2007
  5. Thanks Katerina,
    That's about what I did to work it out. Appreciate the response.
    Harry

    Harry Simpson, Sep 7, 2007