Web Service Deployment

David Rogers

When I create a web service with VS.NET, it is created under
inetpub\wwwroot. What is the cleanest and simplest way to move the web
service to a new server?

By way of contrast, my current method is to create dummy web service
projects on the target machine with the same names as the services I want to
move, and I then copy the directories to the same-named wwwroot directories
on the destination machine. Finally, I rebuild, again on the destination
machine. This buys me is the ability to get all of the default permissions,
etc., all set up by Visual Studio.

On a related note, it was once advised to not put projects directly under
wwwroot, but to use virtual directories instead. Why does the IDE not do
this by default? Regardless of the defaul behavior, can one use virtual
directories with web services? Will the IDE still be happy? SourceSafe?,
ms.etc.?

In virtual ignorance,
David

Marina

You can just copy all the web services files to a directory, and set it up
as a virtual directory in IIS. This should be sufficient.

I am not following on what permissions you are getting by building on the
deployment machine, nor any other benefits. Sounds like a lot of extra work.

David Rogers

Thanks Marina! That was sooo simple!

I think I was trying to make things a lot harder than necessary.

:-David