Web Service Deployment

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by David Rogers, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. David Rogers

    David Rogers Guest

    When I create a web service with VS.NET, it is created under
    inetpub\wwwroot. What is the cleanest and simplest way to move the web
    service to a new server?

    By way of contrast, my current method is to create dummy web service
    projects on the target machine with the same names as the services I want to
    move, and I then copy the directories to the same-named wwwroot directories
    on the destination machine. Finally, I rebuild, again on the destination
    machine. This buys me is the ability to get all of the default permissions,
    etc., all set up by Visual Studio.

    On a related note, it was once advised to not put projects directly under
    wwwroot, but to use virtual directories instead. Why does the IDE not do
    this by default? Regardless of the defaul behavior, can one use virtual
    directories with web services? Will the IDE still be happy? SourceSafe?,
    ms.etc.?

    In virtual ignorance,
    David

    David Rogers, Aug 29, 2003

  2. David Rogers

    Marina Guest

    You can just copy all the web services files to a directory, and set it up
    as a virtual directory in IIS. This should be sufficient.

    I am not following on what permissions you are getting by building on the
    deployment machine, nor any other benefits. Sounds like a lot of extra work.

    Marina, Aug 29, 2003

  3. David Rogers

    David Rogers Guest

    Thanks Marina! That was sooo simple!

    I think I was trying to make things a lot harder than necessary.

    :-David

    David Rogers, Aug 30, 2003