Web Service Factory: Creating a schema for a System.Collections.Generic.List<customer>

Henrik Skak Pedersen

Hi,

I have created a xsd file with a element called Customer. When I then select
"Create data types from schema" a customer class is being generated. But how
do I handle a list of customers? In code I would of course like to use a
generic list, but how does that fit into the factory?

Is it a problem that the List not is a part of the schema?

I guess that I can't use it in the factory wizards?

Thanks
Henrik.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Henrik,

As for the "Create data types from schema", are you using the xsd.exe
utility or any other component to generate the class from XSD schema?

For Genericic List<xxx> type of any other Array/List based types, .net
webservice or XML seriailation will use the following like XML Array
element to map them(the "ArrayOfCustomer" element):

================
<xs:schema elementFormDefault="qualified"
<xs:element name="ArrayOfCustomer" nillable="true" type="ArrayOfCustomer"
/>
<xs:complexType name="ArrayOfCustomer">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" name="Customer"
nillable="true" type="Customer" />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
<xs:complexType name="Customer">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="FirstName"
type="xs:string" />
<xs:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="LastName"
type="xs:string" />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:schema>

Actually, such class as Generic List<> , ArrayList, custom Collection are
all .net specific, XML/XSD schemea does not have so specific definiation
for them. and it can only use a xml array or custom elemetn with sequential
elements to represent them.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng