  1. Jaiganesh

    Jaiganesh Guest

    Whar are the different ways that a web service can be invoked ?
    Jaiganesh, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Jaiganesh

    GCR Guest

    Could you be more specific in your question?

    GCR, Dec 8, 2005

  3. Jaiganesh

    Jaiganesh Guest

    I have a web service which synchronizes data between 2 data bases by passing
    the connection strings to a web method.This web service will be hosted in a
    server and utilized by more than 30 different applications hosted in
    different servers.It is working fine initially but after some time as the
    requests
    from these applications increases web service is not responding or not
    processing its job.When I tried to browse the web service I am getting the
    error "Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown".Currently I
    am calling the web method asynchronously.

    Please help me in solving this problem.

    Thanks in Advance,
    Jaiganesh

    from

    Jaiganesh, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Jaiganesh

    GCR Guest

    OK, I see your problem, and it dosen't has to do with web service calls! You
    are creating database connections based on the connection strings delivered
    as web method parameters, and use these connections for database
    synchronization. Since these operations usually take some time to complete,
    and since you have a lot of consumers, you quickly get into the situation of
    having some hundreds of open database connections with sync operations
    running over them, which is quite expensive in terms of memory and processing
    time.
    I would guess that the web service gets only a limited number different
    connection strings, so I would put them in the web.config. Then I would use
    the Application_Start event handler in global.asax to initialize one instance
    for each of these connections, and taking care that the connections are
    pooled. Then I'd change the web method, so insetead of the connection string,
    I'd have an identifier for the connection pool. The web method implementation
    would select the apropriate connection pool from the Application, based on
    the provided identifier, and use the pool as you do it now. Las, I'd place
    cleanup code in the Application_End event handler to close the connection
    pools.
    This way you use just a limited number of connections, which are also pooled.
    Hope it helps!

    GCR, Dec 8, 2005