Web Service logging calls, charging and revenue

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Ric Castagna, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Ric Castagna

    Ric Castagna Guest

    Greetings, all...

    I almost hate to admit how long I've been looking for the answer to
    this question without much success. I've seen articles alluding to
    charging for web services (such as MapPoint) but have not seen
    anything on how to implement this.

    Obviously, I need to be able to assign some measure of
    username/password to the people that are going to subscribe and pay
    for this web service.

    Then, I need to be able to track the number of times they call the Web
    Service, and, finally, I'll need to be able to extract that
    information in order to collect the revenue based upon usage.

    I work in ASP.NET with VB as the code-behind. Hopefully someone out
    there has run across this same type of situation and will be willing
    to share the knowledge.

    Thanks in advance,
    Ric Castagna

    Ric Castagna, Feb 9, 2004

  2. If you are familiar with custom attributes, you can add an attribute that
    you attach to each of your webmethods.

    Here's an article on SoapExtensions that can do it
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e...bServicesProtocolsSoapExtensionClassTopic.asp

    But you don't need the full SoapExtension. You just need to include
    chargeback on each method call.
    for example, this article describes examining only in the After Deserialize
    phase:
    http://www.developer.com/net/net/article.php/11087_2192901_2

    -Dino

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], Feb 11, 2004