web service newbie dataset question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tim R., Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Tim R.

    Tim R. Guest

    Could someone please tell me whether the following is possible?
    I'm especially murky about step #5 :)

    I'd be very grateful for pointers to an online step-by-step
    article showing something similar, or to an excellent book dealing
    with javascript/ web services/ proxy methods/ ado.net datasets and
    how to avoid postbacks.

    1. user enters a string into textbox

    2. user clicks standard HTML button on form, launching javascript
    function.

    3. javascript function grabs string from textbox, builds query
    string with the textbox text, and invokes a web service, passing
    it the text string as a lookup value.

    4. web service searches a database, and then

    5. web service returns ado.net dataset to to a proxy method
    running server-side, which places the dataset in a session
    variable and invokes the databind() method of a web-control on the
    form (e.g. ASP.NET grid or 3rd party multi-column combo) binding
    the control to the dataset

    Thanks!
    Tim
    Tim R., Jan 7, 2004

  2. Step 5 is a bit murky. Session State is User-specific, and I doubt that the
    JavaScript call to the Web Service is going to run in the same Session
    context as the Web Page (although I am not sure), or even in the same
    Application context. In addition, the Web Page would have to do a PostBack
    in order to fetch anything from the Session.

    In fact, the real question that comes to mind when I read your question is,
    why are you going through all of this rigamarole, when you could simply do a
    PostBack on the Page and accomplish the same task simply and quickly? If I
    knoew more about your requirements, I could advise you further.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 7, 2004