web service on a standalone (with no localhost)

Eych

is it possible to include a web service dll with your application and
call its' methods without having an internet or localhost connection?
I realize the whole point of web services is the connect thru a server
(remotely or locally), but say you've created a big web service dll
and would like to include it in an application that would run on a
customer pc with no IIS running? is it possible with or without
work-arounds?

thanks...

S. Justin Gengo

Eych,

No, you'll have to take the code and use it in the application without it
being defined as a web service.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

Eych

thanks, I figured that'd be the case...however, someone was saying
that I could add the dll that's automatically created by building the
project as a regular reference and use the web service that way...I
tried, but I don't have access to the methods in my web service, just
some generic ones (New, Finalize, Dispose, etc.)

S. Justin Gengo

Eych,

I just found this article and thought of your question.

The article is about how you can use cassini web server to run an asp.net
app from a cdrom. Not that you would want to run your web service from a
cdrom, but if you can run a web site from a cdrom you should be able to use
a similar technique to run it from a file on the hard drive....

http://www.microsoft.com/belux/nl/msdn/community/columns/desmet/hostaspnet2.mspx

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP