Web Service on a web farm

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by phillip, May 18, 2007.

  1. phillip

    phillip Guest

    I am calling a web service from a classic asp page as follows....
    -----
    Set oSOAP = CreateObject("MSSOAP.SoapClient30")
    oSOAP.ClientProperty("ServerHTTPRequest") = True
    oSOAP.mssoapinit("http://www.website.com/TestWebservices/service.asmx?wsdl")

    strReturn = oSOAP.HelloWorld()
    set oSOAP = nothing
    response.write strReturn
    -----

    www.website.com is behind a load balancer on a web farm. I can always call
    the web service when it is located on a website that is not behind a load
    balancer, but on the web farm, I always get the following error...

    -----
    WSDLReader:XML Parser failed at linenumber 0, lineposition 0, reason is: The
    server returned an invalid or unrecognized response HRESULT=0x1: Incorrect
    function. - WSDLReader:Loading of the WSDL file failed HRESULT=0x80070057:
    The parameter is incorrect. - Client:One of the parameters supplied is
    invalid. HRESULT=0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect.
    -----

    Can you call a web service across a web farm using soap? does anyone have
    any ideas why this might be failing on a web farm? Thanks for any help.

    phillip, May 18, 2007

  2. "phillip" <> wrote in message
    >I am calling a web service from a classic asp page as follows....
    > -----
    > Set oSOAP = CreateObject("MSSOAP.SoapClient30")
    > oSOAP.ClientProperty("ServerHTTPRequest") = True
    > oSOAP.mssoapinit("http://www.website.com/TestWebservices/service.asmx?wsdl")
    >
    > strReturn = oSOAP.HelloWorld()
    > set oSOAP = nothing
    > response.write strReturn
    > -----
    >
    > www.website.com is behind a load balancer on a web farm. I can always
    > call
    > the web service when it is located on a website that is not behind a load
    > balancer, but on the web farm, I always get the following error...
    >
    > -----
    > WSDLReader:XML Parser failed at linenumber 0, lineposition 0, reason is:
    > The
    > server returned an invalid or unrecognized response HRESULT=0x1: Incorrect
    > function. - WSDLReader:Loading of the WSDL file failed HRESULT=0x80070057:
    > The parameter is incorrect. - Client:One of the parameters supplied is
    > invalid. HRESULT=0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect.
    > -----
    >
    > Can you call a web service across a web farm using soap? does anyone have
    > any ideas why this might be failing on a web farm? Thanks for any help.

    You can call a web service across a web farm. That's not the problem. The
    problem is your particular setup, which, for some reason, is returning you
    something other than XML. I bet it's returning you an error message in HTML.
    Use a network monitor to find out what's going on.
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]

    John Saunders [MVP], May 18, 2007