    Thanks in advance.

    -Andrew

    , Sep 10, 2007

  2. nano2k Guest

    On 10 Sep, 21:18, "" <> wrote:
    > Hi, all. I have a webservice running on a Windows 2003 server, and
    > then an application on my desktop that consumes this web service. When
    > I tested the webservice (by going to the webservice from IE on the
    > same machine), the web service works. However, when I tried to step
    > through my code on my desktop, it gives me the following error at the
    > line that invokes the web service :
    >
    > Server was unable to process request ---> Object reference not set to
    > an instance of an object.
    >
    > I've searched the internet and don't seem to be able to find the
    > solution. Any ideas how to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Andrew

    Hi
    Did you try to debug the webservice?
    As I see it, the problem is not the health of your webservice.

    Two possible causes:
    1. Are you sure you access the *right* webservice from the
    application? I mean the link you are using is exactly the same as the
    one used with IE?
    2. If the answer to the question 1 is YES, then you should try to
    debug the first method/methods called by your application to see what
    line of code generates the exception.
    I recommend you to activate the exception catching in VS: CTRL+ALT+E,
    select "Common Language Runtime Exceptions" then select "Break into
    the debugger". This way, the exception won't fly away from you.
    BTW: in webservice, put a breakpoint on the first line of each method
    called by the client app.

    Hope this helps.

    nano2k, Sep 13, 2007