    Thanks very much
    Cangoce

    , Mar 15, 2006

  2. James McGill Guest

    On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 18:25 -0800, wrote:
    > How are they supposed to
    > access this new web service I have developed. Do they have to manually
    > open a TCP/IP connection and manually send request? And then the
    > client would receive the response and manually parse the resulting
    > HTML
    > for his response?

    Manually? There are libraries for dealing with various kinds of
    webservices for all kinds of languages. I'm partial to RPC-enabled
    servlets with LWP perl clients, and Python clients with Twisted,
    personally.

    As for parsing the response, consider using XML instead of HTML.

    James McGill, Mar 15, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Now suppose a third party client wants to use this web-service. Suppose
    > the third party client is a C or C++ program. How are they supposed to
    > access this new web service I have developed. Do they have to manually
    > open a TCP/IP connection and manually send request? And then the
    > client would receive the response and manually parse the resulting HTML
    > for his response?
    >
    > Is this what is expected or am I missing something?

    You should most definitely look up a web services guide or tutorial if
    you are going to work with it.

    If you look a the spec for f.ex. the SOAP part of web services, (WS is
    mostly made up of three components SOAP, WSDL and UDDI, where SOAP is
    the RPC part of it.). You will see that 90 percent of it is about
    serialisation of data types. This means that all WS programming is done
    by using a WS or SOAP library, which will deal with this for you. WSDL
    is the definition of the contract of the server which you give to the
    client so its WS tools can generate a proper SOAP stub for you. The rest
    you need to read about.

    /tom

    tom fredriksen, Mar 15, 2006
  4. sibob Guest

    Here are some good sites to learn some more about Web services....

    www.xmethods.net
    www.strikeiron.com
    www.webservices.org

    Bob