    I have a web app that is referencing several web services. When I make a change to a web service (add, modify a method), I have to 'Add Web Reference' for the changes to take affect. If I do 'Update web reference' the web app does not see the web service changes.

    The web services are on the same box as I'm developing on, the .wsdl files are pointing to the correct location, but the changes aren't happening unless I do 'Add Web Reference'.

    Does anyone have or had this same issue? If so how did you resolve it?

    Mike, Aug 20, 2007

  2. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    I have a web app that is referencing several web services. When I make a
    change to a web service (add, modify a method), I have to 'Add Web
    Reference' for the changes to take affect. If I do 'Update web reference'
    the web app does not see the web service changes.

    The web services are on the same box as I'm developing on, the .wsdl files
    are pointing to the correct location, but the changes aren't happening
    unless I do 'Add Web Reference'.

    Does anyone have or had this same issue? If so how did you resolve it?

    ------------
    What are your web references pointing to? The .asmx files, the .wsdl files,
    or .asmx?WSDL?

    Also, have you built and deployed the changed web services before trying to
    update the references?
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]

    John Saunders [MVP], Aug 20, 2007

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Also, have you built and deployed the changed web services before trying to
    update the references? Yes, I build the service then run it test and test it
    prior to 'updating' it in the web app.

    What are your web references pointing to? The .asmx files, the .wsdl files,
    > or .asmx?WSDL? When I add the web reference via the IDE, its adding the
    > .disco, disomap, and .wsdl file.

    the reference in the web.config file is pointing to the .asmx file, but
    shouldn't it point to the wsdl file?

    I just got put on this project last week, so everything was already setup by
    the lead developer on this project, and I'm fixing things as I go, and I
    noticed that as I was fixing the web service and trying to access it via the
    web app.

    Mike, Aug 20, 2007
  4. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Also, have you built and deployed the changed web services before trying
    > update the references? Yes, I build the service then run it test and test
    > it prior to 'updating' it in the web app.
    >
    > What are your web references pointing to? The .asmx files, the .wsdl
    > files,
    >> or .asmx?WSDL? When I add the web reference via the IDE, its adding the
    >> .disco, disomap, and .wsdl file.

    > the reference in the web.config file is pointing to the .asmx file, but
    > shouldn't it point to the wsdl file?

    The web.config should point to the .asmx, since that is the URL that will be
    used at runtime. I was asking what you see in the Properties of the web
    reference itself.

    Another thing I thought of is how are you running the web service? You want
    to make sure that the web reference is referring to the exact same service
    that you've deployed.

    For instance, one problem I've had is when the web service was running on a
    dynamic port through the Visual Studio.Net internal web server, when my web
    reference has been pointing to a fixed location within an IIS web site. This
    fits the pattern you posted about: when you do an Add Web Reference, you are
    pointing to the real, updated server. When you change it and do an update,
    the updated service is running in the internal server, but your web
    reference is still pointing to the original, unchanged service.

    At design-time, the web reference URL is used to retrieve the WSDL file
    which is used to create the proxy classes. At run-time, it is used to talk
    to the real service. The trick is to notice when these two are not both
    talking to the same service.
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]

    John Saunders [MVP], Aug 21, 2007