web service reference

Mike

I have a web app that is referencing several web services. When I make a change to a web service (add, modify a method), I have to 'Add Web Reference' for the changes to take affect. If I do 'Update web reference' the web app does not see the web service changes.

The web services are on the same box as I'm developing on, the .wsdl files are pointing to the correct location, but the changes aren't happening unless I do 'Add Web Reference'.

Does anyone have or had this same issue? If so how did you resolve it?

John Saunders [MVP]

I have a web app that is referencing several web services. When I make a
change to a web service (add, modify a method), I have to 'Add Web
Reference' for the changes to take affect. If I do 'Update web reference'
the web app does not see the web service changes.

The web services are on the same box as I'm developing on, the .wsdl files
are pointing to the correct location, but the changes aren't happening
unless I do 'Add Web Reference'.

Does anyone have or had this same issue? If so how did you resolve it?

------------
What are your web references pointing to? The .asmx files, the .wsdl files,
or .asmx?WSDL?

Also, have you built and deployed the changed web services before trying to
update the references?

Mike

Also, have you built and deployed the changed web services before trying to
update the references? Yes, I build the service then run it test and test it
prior to 'updating' it in the web app.

What are your web references pointing to? The .asmx files, the .wsdl files,
or .asmx?WSDL? When I add the web reference via the IDE, its adding the
.disco, disomap, and .wsdl file.
the reference in the web.config file is pointing to the .asmx file, but
shouldn't it point to the wsdl file?

I just got put on this project last week, so everything was already setup by
the lead developer on this project, and I'm fixing things as I go, and I
noticed that as I was fixing the web service and trying to access it via the
web app.

John Saunders [MVP]

Mike said:
Also, have you built and deployed the changed web services before trying
update the references? Yes, I build the service then run it test and test
it prior to 'updating' it in the web app.

What are your web references pointing to? The .asmx files, the .wsdl
files,
the reference in the web.config file is pointing to the .asmx file, but
shouldn't it point to the wsdl file?

The web.config should point to the .asmx, since that is the URL that will be
used at runtime. I was asking what you see in the Properties of the web
reference itself.

Another thing I thought of is how are you running the web service? You want
to make sure that the web reference is referring to the exact same service
that you've deployed.

For instance, one problem I've had is when the web service was running on a
dynamic port through the Visual Studio.Net internal web server, when my web
reference has been pointing to a fixed location within an IIS web site. This
fits the pattern you posted about: when you do an Add Web Reference, you are
pointing to the real, updated server. When you change it and do an update,
the updated service is running in the internal server, but your web
reference is still pointing to the original, unchanged service.

At design-time, the web reference URL is used to retrieve the WSDL file
which is used to create the proxy classes. At run-time, it is used to talk
to the real service. The trick is to notice when these two are not both
talking to the same service.