Web Service Returns 503 Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by HBrothers, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. HBrothers

    HBrothers Guest

    I have a web service running on W2003, IIS 6.0 with a client program running
    on XP sp 2.
    The web service is called often and repeatedly by the client program, and it
    spends some time inserting rows into a SQL database on another server.

    Occasionally, the web service returns this error message to the client:
    The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable

    I have tried running with sessions enabled and disabled in the Web service,
    with a single proxy object or with a new proxy object created on each call
    from the client program, etc. I cannot predict ahead of time how many calls
    the client will make to the web service -- it depends on the number of lines
    in a text file that will be different with each invocation of the program.

    The IIS log contains a reference to the .asmx page containing the web
    service followed by
    503 537842195 ConnLimit

    I gather from all of this that the web service or the client program (or
    both) are mis-managing resources somehow, but I don't see how to fix the
    situation. Any help would be very much appreciated.

    HBrothers, Sep 29, 2004