Web service runs infinitely on IIS5.0 and .NET2.0 using windows 20

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Tony, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hello, we have a Windows UI application which triggers an managed C#
    code(executable) via a Async Webservice call.This managed C# executable does
    a lot of number crunching and hence consumes a lot of CPU utilization for a
    period of 2-3 mins.
    Currently we poll a SQL server Db at regular (configurable) intervals to
    poll the status of the above executable when the above managed code is
    running, and display the status in the progress bar on the UI.
    THis polling mechanism is syncrhronous i.e. via the Ui->Webservice(synch
    calls every 20 secs) - >SQL DB.
    Within the catch block of the synch call to the DB, we check for exceptions
    and since there are times that resources are not avail due to HIGH CPU util,
    the requests may be rejected... in some cases Worker process is recycled too.
    At all cases of exception we wait for 20 seconds more using sleep and retry
    the synch call to the db.

    For 95% cases this works absolutely fine, but we are having issues on
    certain production boxes where the worker process just hangs and does not do
    anything.
    Enabling trace and increasing execution timeout did not help. Currently we
    poll every 20 secs . It fails to poll the SQL Sever DB to fetch the status.
    A point to note is that this happens only when CPU util by the C# managed
    code is very high.But we are unable to pinpoint the issue as to why this
    happens on certain prodn boxes (we have multiple boxes for various
    sites).Sometimes we do get a error in the event log , but not always. Also we
    are not consistently able to reproduce the problem on such prodn boxes.....
    Does anyone have any ideas of any possibilities where the issue maybe or is
    DebugDiag.exe the only way out

    hardware used if DELL Pentium HT processor
    1GB RAM(of which 512 is reserved for SQL server)

    software used in IIS5.0/Windows 2000 advanced server
    ..NET2.0 framework

    here is the log

    Source: ASP.NET.2.0.50727.0
    Type: Warning
    Event ID: 1073

    Failed to process request.

    Exception: System.Threading.ThreadAbortException
    Message: Thread was being aborted.
    StackTrace: at
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
    at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNoDemand(HttpWorkerRequest wr)
    at System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIRuntime.ProcessRequest(IntPtr ecb, Int32
    iWRType)

    Source: ASP.NET.2.0.50727.0
    Type: Warning
    Event ID: 1309

    Event time: 1/21/2008 3:11:52 AM
    Event time (UTC): 1/21/2008 8:11:52 AM
    Event ID: 137fc1c8911748898ee606e2fe177c63
    Event sequence: 5
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

    Application information:
    Application domain:
    /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/WebServices/WF/WFMSTRWS-60-128453767110015000
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /WebServices/WF/WFMSTRWS
    Application Path: F:\RiteAidWeb\WebServices\WF\WFMSTRWS\
    Machine name: 0181SC02

    Process information:
    Process ID: 4960
    Process name: aspnet_wp.exe
    Account name: 0181SC02\ASPNET

    Exception information:
    Exception type: ThreadAbortException
    Exception message: Thread was being aborted.

    Request information:
    Request URL: http://sc02/WebServices/WF/WFMSTRWS/WFST0001.asmx
    Request path: /WebServices/WF/WFMSTRWS/WFST0001.asmx
    User host address:
    User:
    Is authenticated: False
    Authentication Type:
    Thread account name: 0181SC02\ASPNET

    Thread information:
    Thread ID: 1
    Thread account name: 0181SC02\ASPNET
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace: at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep
    step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ResumeSteps(Exception error)
    at
    System.Web.HttpApplication.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)
    at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)

    Tony, Jan 21, 2008