Web Service timeout from Sharepoint webpart

Joe L via .NET 247

I have written a web part. The webpart calls a web service toget info. I ran into problems with the webservice notresponding. We decided to have a cutoff for the time to waitfor a response from the web service. I am setting the Timeouton the webservice proxy before calling the webservice method. Iam not getting the results I expected. Below is the code andthe exception I get.

Results results = null;

try
{
MyWebService mws = new MyWebService();

// Set Timeout
mws.Timeout = 10000;

//get ws results
results = mws.getResults();
}
catch (Exception e)
{
// Throw exception to be caught in webpart control
throw new ApplicationException("Error calling MyWebService: ",e);

When Timeout is set to 10,000 miliseconds:

[WebPartPageUserException: The WebPart, Version=1.0.0.0,Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=750984491ffadf33 assemblyspecified in a Register directive of this page could not befound.]
Microsoft.SharePoint.ac.a(h A_0)
Microsoft.SharePoint.f.c()
Microsoft.SharePoint.ac.c(Int32 A_0)
Microsoft.SharePoint.ac.d(Int32 A_0)
Microsoft.SharePoint.ac.a(Boolean A_0)
Microsoft.SharePoint.f.a()
Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.a(Uri A_0, aj A_1, HttpContext A_2,Boolean A_3, Boolean A_4, Int64& A_5, SPWebPartCollection& A_6)
Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SharePointHandler.SPProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

[ApplicationException: Exception of typeSystem.ApplicationException was thrown.]
Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SharePointHandler.SPProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SharePointHandler.SPProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SharePointHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +179
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step,Boolean& completedSynchronously) +87

When Timeout is set to 20,000 miliseconds:

System.Web.HttpException (0x80004001) Request Timed Out. (what Iexpect)

When Timeout is set to 30,000 miliseconds:

Again Request Timed out and some successful webpart loads (alsowhat I expect)