web service timeout in C# Forms application (always)

Arno Richard

The problem here is easy to describe, but I'm afraid it will be complex to
resolve, if possible at all; here it goes...

I've got a C# Forms application that needs to call web services; depending
on the environment (described below) this is either *always* working
perfectly in milliseconds, or *always* timing out, whatever the timeout limit
is (even 300 seconds, which is ridiculous).
The 3 environment tested are:
- on workstations: always working
- on some laptops: always working
- on some other laptops: never working

All machines are running Windows 2000 with the same version 1.1 of the .Net
Framework.
I've trimmed down my web service to just returning "hello", and trimmed down
my application to just doing that web service call.... to the same effect, it
will either always succeed or fail, using synchronous or asynchronous calls.
Following the web service invocation, the next thing that happens is the
exception telling that the request has timed out, no other explanation.
Looking at the logs on the server, the request has not even reached it.

This application is designed for a large corporation, which has a really
strict (and good!) approach to configuration management: all machines in the
company are built from only a few disk images. The difference between the
laptops is that one batch is built from one disk image (for UK, France,
US..), the other batch is built from another disk image required to include
some specific drivers due to the available hardware in the area (Belgium,
Netherlands).

I'm having difficulties admitting that it all boils down to drivers.... but
the way the application has been trimmed down it simply can't be the
application - and it's not the web service availability as tests were ran
concurrently in time & space (ie, network segment) on the different
environments, for the results explained above.

Has someone ever experienced this, or would be able to shed some light on
this behavior which doesn't make any sense to me??? thanks!

Sahil Malik

Arno Richard

hi Sahil,

I can't test it myself as I've got to go to my IT dept for it, but I will
surely have it tested and report back here. Thanks for the lead, I was really
rnning out of ideas here.

Arnaud

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

MArk Rabus said:
I had the same problem in Asp.net - VB.
Turns out it was dsn verification issue.
INstead of using a computer name, use an IP address.
Mine was timing out because of the dsn resolution issues.

For those curious what a dsn is, I think he means DNS.