web service timeout in C# Forms application (always)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Arno Richard, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Arno Richard

    Arno Richard Guest

    The problem here is easy to describe, but I'm afraid it will be complex to
    resolve, if possible at all; here it goes...

    I've got a C# Forms application that needs to call web services; depending
    on the environment (described below) this is either *always* working
    perfectly in milliseconds, or *always* timing out, whatever the timeout limit
    is (even 300 seconds, which is ridiculous).
    The 3 environment tested are:
    - on workstations: always working
    - on some laptops: always working
    - on some other laptops: never working

    All machines are running Windows 2000 with the same version 1.1 of the .Net
    Framework.
    I've trimmed down my web service to just returning "hello", and trimmed down
    my application to just doing that web service call.... to the same effect, it
    will either always succeed or fail, using synchronous or asynchronous calls.
    Following the web service invocation, the next thing that happens is the
    exception telling that the request has timed out, no other explanation.
    Looking at the logs on the server, the request has not even reached it.

    This application is designed for a large corporation, which has a really
    strict (and good!) approach to configuration management: all machines in the
    company are built from only a few disk images. The difference between the
    laptops is that one batch is built from one disk image (for UK, France,
    US..), the other batch is built from another disk image required to include
    some specific drivers due to the available hardware in the area (Belgium,
    Netherlands).

    I'm having difficulties admitting that it all boils down to drivers.... but
    the way the application has been trimmed down it simply can't be the
    application - and it's not the web service availability as tests were ran
    concurrently in time & space (ie, network segment) on the different
    environments, for the results explained above.

    Has someone ever experienced this, or would be able to shed some light on
    this behavior which doesn't make any sense to me??? thanks!

    Arno Richard, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Arno Richard

    Sahil Malik Guest

    Richard,

    When you experience a non responsive webservice, go to the client and the
    server, and in their command prompts type "netstat -n". Do you see a lot of
    connections left in TIME_WAIT state? More info on that in
    http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/sahilmalik/archive/2004/06/09/15893.aspx

    Is your webservice hosted in IIS? Try hosting it in IIS, and disable the
    HTTP KeepAlive on it.

    - Sahil Malik
    You can reach me thru my blog -
    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/sahilmalik

    Sahil Malik, Sep 26, 2004

  3. Arno Richard

    Arno Richard Guest

    hi Sahil,

    I can't test it myself as I've got to go to my IT dept for it, but I will
    surely have it tested and report back here. Thanks for the lead, I was really
    rnning out of ideas here.

    Arnaud

    Arno Richard, Sep 27, 2004
  4. Arno Richard

    MArk Rabus Guest

    MArk Rabus, May 18, 2005
  5. MArk Rabus<> wrote in
    > I had the same problem in Asp.net - VB.
    > Turns out it was dsn verification issue.
    > INstead of using a computer name, use an IP address.
    > Mine was timing out because of the dsn resolution issues.

    For those curious what a dsn is, I think he means DNS.

    Blog: http://blogs.atozed.com/kudzu

    Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu, May 18, 2005