web service wants proxy authentication

Chris Podmore

I have a web service running on my PC that I want to access from a Pocket PC (Compact Framework) connected to my machine using ActiveSync. I can access the web service from the emulator no problem but when I try the same application on the Pocket PC I get “The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Requiredâ€

The application has the ability to change the IP address of the web service, as the customer’s machines will obviously have different IP addresses to us

The application will need to access the web service either ActiveSync, GPRS, RAS, WiFi

I have tried

Dim wp As New System.Net.WebProx
'wp.Address = New Uri("http://acssbs1:8080"
wp.Address = New Uri("http://999.999.99.9:8080"
wp.BypassProxyOnLocal = Tru
wp.Credentials = New System.Net.NetworkCredential("chrisp", "**********", "domain"
ws.Proxy = w

But this doesn’t work as it still reports the error

Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Chris

[MSFT]

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting. Regarding the issue, we are trying to find proper
resource to assist you and will update you as soon as possible.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Reggie Joy

Hi Chris,

As I understand this -
If you create a simple Web Service on the desktop PC with one method, then
create a Smart Device application that consumes that Web Service by calling
the method, deploy it to your Pocket PC device connected over Activesync,
it gives you a "(407) Proxy Authentication Required" on the device. If you
run the same on a Pocket PC emulator, it works as expected.

Is your Pocket PC connected over USB or Ethernet to your desktop PC? And
does your local network have a secure proxy? With the code that sets the
username and password for the secure proxy, are you able to connect
successfully from the emulator?

Rajat
DSW - Mobile Devices

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgUG9kbW9yZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: web service wants proxy authentication
| Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 01:16:16 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| I have a web service running on my PC that I want to access from a Pocket
PC (Compact Framework) connected to my machine using ActiveSync. I can
access the web service from the emulator no problem but when I try the same
application on the Pocket PC I get “The remote server returned an error:
(407) Proxy Authentication Requiredâ€.

The application has the ability to change the IP address of the web
service, as the customer’s machines will obviously have different IP
addresses to us.

The application will need to access the web service either ActiveSync,
GPRS, RAS, WiFi.

I have tried:

Dim wp As New System.Net.WebProxy
'wp.Address = New Uri("http://acssbs1:8080")
wp.Address = New Uri("http://999.999.99.9:8080")
wp.BypassProxyOnLocal = True
wp.Credentials = New System.Net.NetworkCredential("chrisp", "**********",
"domain")
ws.Proxy = wp

But this doesn’t work as it still reports the error.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Chris.

Chris Podmore

Reggie

Thanks for the reply. The emulator works fine, connects and retrieves data without a problem. Unfortunately my Pocket PC (iPAQ 3760) uses a serial cradle, I don’t have a USB one. Could this be the problem? I didn’t think there was a difference connecting via ActiveSync using serial or USB, apart from the speed obviously

I haven’t installed SP2 yet, I’m still using what came with VS.NET 2003. Don’t know if this will make a difference or not

Chris.

Rajat Joy

Hi Chris,

There should be no difference between using USB or Serial connections. In
asking the question, my intention was to see if you were using an ethernet
connection that needed to go through a secure proxy to reach your web
server.

Please do try with .NET CF SP2, as it resolves several other issues.

Here are a few things you should check -

You should have basic or digest authentication as the mechanism for
authentication on the IIS server on your desktop PC that hosts your Web
Service.

Can you reproduce the problem if you create a simple Web Service containing
a single method on your desktop PC, disconnect the PC from the network,
install Microsoft Loopback Adapter, then consume the Web Service from your
Pocket PC device connected over Activesync?

I understand that the problem may be caused by factors specific to your
network environment. However, it would be nice to see a minimal
reproducible sample that we can test with different network configurations
at our end.

Thanks
Rajat

DSW-Mobile Devices