    Any help will be much appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Chris
    Chris Podmore, May 5, 2004

  2. Chris Podmore

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Chris,

    Thank you for posting. Regarding the issue, we are trying to find proper
    resource to assist you and will update you as soon as possible.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    [MSFT], May 6, 2004

  3. Chris Podmore

    Reggie Joy Guest

    Hi Chris,

    As I understand this -
    If you create a simple Web Service on the desktop PC with one method, then
    create a Smart Device application that consumes that Web Service by calling
    the method, deploy it to your Pocket PC device connected over Activesync,
    it gives you a "(407) Proxy Authentication Required" on the device. If you
    run the same on a Pocket PC emulator, it works as expected.

    Is your Pocket PC connected over USB or Ethernet to your desktop PC? And
    does your local network have a secure proxy? With the code that sets the
    username and password for the secure proxy, are you able to connect
    successfully from the emulator?

    Rajat
    DSW - Mobile Devices

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgUG9kbW9yZQ==?=" <>
    | Subject: web service wants proxy authentication
    | Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 01:16:16 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    |
    | I have a web service running on my PC that I want to access from a Pocket
    PC (Compact Framework) connected to my machine using ActiveSync. I can
    access the web service from the emulator no problem but when I try the same
    application on the Pocket PC I get “The remote server returned an error:
    (407) Proxy Authentication Requiredâ€.

    The application has the ability to change the IP address of the web
    service, as the customer’s machines will obviously have different IP
    addresses to us.

    The application will need to access the web service either ActiveSync,
    GPRS, RAS, WiFi.

    I have tried:

    Dim wp As New System.Net.WebProxy
    'wp.Address = New Uri("http://acssbs1:8080")
    wp.Address = New Uri("http://999.999.99.9:8080")
    wp.BypassProxyOnLocal = True
    wp.Credentials = New System.Net.NetworkCredential("chrisp", "**********",
    "domain")
    ws.Proxy = wp

    But this doesn’t work as it still reports the error.

    Reggie Joy, May 8, 2004
  4. Reggie

    Thanks for the reply. The emulator works fine, connects and retrieves data without a problem. Unfortunately my Pocket PC (iPAQ 3760) uses a serial cradle, I don’t have a USB one. Could this be the problem? I didn’t think there was a difference connecting via ActiveSync using serial or USB, apart from the speed obviously

    I haven’t installed SP2 yet, I’m still using what came with VS.NET 2003. Don’t know if this will make a difference or not

    Chris.
    Chris Podmore, May 10, 2004
  5. Chris Podmore

    Rajat Joy Guest

    Hi Chris,

    There should be no difference between using USB or Serial connections. In
    asking the question, my intention was to see if you were using an ethernet
    connection that needed to go through a secure proxy to reach your web
    server.

    Please do try with .NET CF SP2, as it resolves several other issues.

    Here are a few things you should check -

    You should have basic or digest authentication as the mechanism for
    authentication on the IIS server on your desktop PC that hosts your Web
    Service.

    Can you reproduce the problem if you create a simple Web Service containing
    a single method on your desktop PC, disconnect the PC from the network,
    install Microsoft Loopback Adapter, then consume the Web Service from your
    Pocket PC device connected over Activesync?

    I understand that the problem may be caused by factors specific to your
    network environment. However, it would be nice to see a minimal
    reproducible sample that we can test with different network configurations
    at our end.

    Thanks
    Rajat

    DSW-Mobile Devices