    The question I have though is what executes the WSDL?

    Can a WSDL be run in a web browser?
    , Jun 12, 2007

    On Jun 12, 9:40 am, wrote:
    > I actually have some local web service examples a previous programmer
    > did. But I think I learn best by doing something myself no matter how
    > simple.
    >
    > Can I create a WSDL that goes out to a remote server via HTTP and
    > tells me the contents of an XML file?
    >
    > Can I make it that simple?
    >
    > The question I have though is what executes the WSDL?
    >
    > Can a WSDL be run in a web browser?

    Just to clarify, I know I could probably scrape the xml on a remote
    server with XMLHttpRequestObject or something, but I am looking to
    create my first VERY simple web service and I want to execute the web
    page on my end locally.

    I also do have .Net on my end but I am not looking to do a .NET Web
    Service although I have it as a fall-back option.
    , Jun 12, 2007

  3. Joseph Kesselman, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Ian Wilson Guest

    wrote:
    > I actually have some local web service examples a previous programmer
    > did. But I think I learn best by doing something myself no matter how
    > simple.
    >
    > Can I create a WSDL that goes out to a remote server via HTTP and
    > tells me the contents of an XML file?

    You can create a web-service that returns an XML document.
    You can create a WSDL file that describes that service.
    You can use that WSDL to help create a client for that web-service.

    > Can I make it that simple?

    It isn't really that simple

    > The question I have though is what executes the WSDL?

    WSDL isn't executed. WSDL is a description, various automated tools can
    read that description, some of them create a "stub" for the described
    service. The stub is source code in a language of your choice (C#, Java
    etc). You can then write a program (in C# java etc) that uses that stub.

    > Can a WSDL be run in a web browser?

    No. However some web-services toolkits will, as a side effect, create
    web-pages that allow you to test your web-service. This isn't really how
    web-services are normally used though.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_services
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSDL
    Ian Wilson, Jun 13, 2007