Web Service

dlcacuff

I actually have some local web service examples a previous programmer
did. But I think I learn best by doing something myself no matter how
simple.

Can I create a WSDL that goes out to a remote server via HTTP and
tells me the contents of an XML file?

Can I make it that simple?

The question I have though is what executes the WSDL?

Can a WSDL be run in a web browser?

dlcacuff

I actually have some local web service examples a previous programmer
did. But I think I learn best by doing something myself no matter how
simple.

Can I create a WSDL that goes out to a remote server via HTTP and
tells me the contents of an XML file?

Can I make it that simple?

The question I have though is what executes the WSDL?

Can a WSDL be run in a web browser?

Just to clarify, I know I could probably scrape the xml on a remote
server with XMLHttpRequestObject or something, but I am looking to
create my first VERY simple web service and I want to execute the web
page on my end locally.

I also do have .Net on my end but I am not looking to do a .NET Web
Service although I have it as a fall-back option.

Ian Wilson

I actually have some local web service examples a previous programmer
did. But I think I learn best by doing something myself no matter how
simple.

Can I create a WSDL that goes out to a remote server via HTTP and
tells me the contents of an XML file?

You can create a web-service that returns an XML document.
You can create a WSDL file that describes that service.
You can use that WSDL to help create a client for that web-service.
Can I make it that simple?

It isn't really that simple
The question I have though is what executes the WSDL?

WSDL isn't executed. WSDL is a description, various automated tools can
read that description, some of them create a "stub" for the described
service. The stub is source code in a language of your choice (C#, Java
etc). You can then write a program (in C# java etc) that uses that stub.
Can a WSDL be run in a web browser?

No. However some web-services toolkits will, as a side effect, create
web-pages that allow you to test your web-service. This isn't really how
web-services are normally used though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_services
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSDL