Web Services a Secure Way to Move Student Data

Jim Bayers

Many departments rely on our department for reports and such. Often these
reports will contain confidential data like student-ids and social security
numbers.

We are looking at using web services to share data with other departments.
The data must be secure. Do web services have any advantages over an xml
webpage? I assume you can use ssl to encrypt the data, how about
authentication?

How would you exchange confidential data with other departments? Http or
otherwise?